Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
The government must decide by Thursday whether to maintain three-week-old rules to keep schools and shops shut and order people to stay in their homes to try to stop coronavirus spreading.”We don’t expect to make any changes to the measures currently in place at that point, and we won’t until we’re confident as we realistically can be that any such changes can be safely made,” Raab said.He said that “if we eased up too early, we’d risk a second wave” of infections.New figures from the health ministry on Monday revealed that 11,329 people hospitalized with coronavirus have died in Britain, making it one of the worst-affected nations in the world. The British government warned Monday it would not be lifting a nationwide lockdown anytime soon as the country remains in the grip of a coronavirus outbreak that has claimed more than 11,000 lives.Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, who is deputizing for Prime Minister Boris Johnson as he recovers from his own bout of COVID-19, said there were some “positive” signs of progress.But he warned at a daily media briefing: “We’re still not past the peak of this virus.” Topics : This number is up 717 on the previous day, down from previous daily tolls. However, data on a Monday is often lower due to underreporting at weekends.Johnson became the most high-profile world leader to contract the virus last month and spent a week in hospital — including three days in intensive care — before being discharged on Sunday. The 55-year-old issued a video thanking the medics who cared for him, and admitting that at one point, he believed it “could have gone either way”. ‘Saved my life’ Johnson’s government has faced questions about whether it was too slow to impose the lockdown, keeping pubs, shops and schools open even as they were shutting across Europe.According to The Times newspaper, 10 cabinet ministers — just under half — are pressing for the measures to be eased next month over concern about the economic impact.Raab insisted the government was “united” in its determination to tackle the virus.The government remains under pressure as doctors and nurses complain of a lack of protective equipment and a shortage of coronavirus tests.In his video message, Johnson paid tribute to staff at the state-run National Health Service hospital in London where he was treated.”I hope they won’t mind if I mention in particular two nurses who stood by my bedside for 48 hours when things could have gone either way,” he said.He named them as Jenny from New Zealand and Luis from Portugal, adding: “The NHS has saved my life, no question.”The parents of Jenny, identified in media as Jenny McGee, spoke of their “exceptional” pride at her role.”She has told us these things over the years and it doesn’t matter what patient she is looking after, this is what she does,” her mother Caroline told Television New Zealand. Deaths expected to rise Johnson is recuperating at Chequers, a 16th-century mansion northwest of London used as a retreat by British premiers for the past century. He has reportedly been reunited with his pregnant partner Carrie Symonds, who earlier this month reported suffering from coronavirus symptoms herself.Johnson asked Raab to stand in for him when he was admitted to intensive care one week ago, and remains out of action. “The prime minister is focusing on his recovery, and he’s not currently carrying out government work,” Johnson’s spokesman said Monday. Government data suggests the number of new cases is beginning to flatten, although testing is limited, as is the number of people in hospital beds.But Chief Scientific Adviser Patrick Vallance warned deaths were expected to keep rising this week, before reaching a plateau, perhaps for two or three weeks, and then decreasing.But the official toll only includes people in hospitals, and “there are of course unfortunately many deaths that also occur outside hospital”, he said. The government said that 92 care homes have reported an outbreak of coronavirus in the past 24 hours, and there are fears many fatalities in institutions are currently underreported.
October 19, 2018 SHARE Email Facebook Twitter Press Release, PSA, Weather Safety Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf today announced that the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) approved his request to declare a disaster in Lancaster and York Counties after significant flood damage to homes and businesses was sustained due to severe storms on Aug. 31, 2018.“Residents throughout the commonwealth are still recovering from the record-shattering storms that disrupted their lives this summer,” said Governor Wolf. “Loan programs like these provide a low-cost and accessible lifeline to individuals starting the rebuilding and recovery process.”Homeowners, renters and businesses impacted by the storms in Lancaster and York Counties, as well as neighboring counties Adams, Berks, Chester, Cumberland, Dauphin and Lebanon may be eligible for low-interest disaster loans through the SBA Disaster Loan Programs.Low-interest loans of up to $200,000 are available to homeowners to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate. SBA regulations permit loans up to $40,000 to repair or replace personal property. Businesses and nonprofits can borrow up to $2 million to restore damaged or destroyed buildings, inventory, equipment and assets. Loan amounts and terms are set by the SBA and are based on each applicant’s financial qualifications.The SBA will establish Disaster Loan Outreach Centers (DLOC) to assist anyone who wishes to apply for a loan. The DLOC’s will be open at the following locations and times:York County Department ofEmergency ServicesTraining Room120 Davies Dr. York, PA 17402Lancaster County Public SafetyTraining CenterConference Room101 Champ Blvd. Manheim, PA 17545Opening: Monday, Oct. 22, 10 a.m.Closed: Sunday, Oct. 28Days: Monday – Friday: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.Saturday, Oct. 27: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.Closing: Monday, Oct. 29: 6p.m.SBA customer service representatives will be on hand at the disaster loan outreach centers to issue loan applications, answer questions about the disaster loan program, explain the application process and help individuals to complete their applications.Individuals and businesses unable to visit the centers in person may obtain information and loan applications by calling the SBA’s Customer Service Center at 1-800-659-2955 (1-800-877-8339 for the hearing impaired), or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.Loan applications can also be downloaded at www.sba.gov/disaster. Applicants may apply online using the Electronic Loan Application (ELA) via the SBA’s secure website at https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela. Completed applications should be returned to the local DLOC or mailed to: U.S. Small Business Administration, Processing and Disbursement Center, 14925 Kingsport Road, Fort Worth, TX 76155.The filing deadline to return applications for physical property damage is Dec. 17, 2018. The deadline to return economic injury disaster loan applications is July 18, 2019. Governor Wolf Announces Federal Aid Availability Following Severe Storms in South-Central Pennsylvania
18 Boolama Place, Mudgeeraba.More from news02:37Purchasers snap up every residence in the $40 million Siarn Palm Beach North3 hours ago02:37International architect Desmond Brooks selling luxury beach villa22 hours agoThe couple said they found the perfect in-between at Mudgeeraba’s Jabiru Estate. “From the moment you drive in you feel like you’re in the countryside. It was a win-win situation for both of us,” the mother-of-two said. “Our guests who have been living on the Gold Coast for years always mention how private the estate is.” 18 Boolama Place, Mudgeeraba.Sandstone and timber flooring create stylish spaces while a fireplace adds a touch of luxury. “You can be in the kitchen and hear the sound of the fireplace crackling. It’s beautiful,” Mrs Booth said. 18 Boolama Place, Mudgeeraba.“We had moved from Sydney to Mermaid Waters when my husband got an itch for acreage living,” Mrs Booth said. “But I wanted to stay in suburbia.” 18 Boolama Place is a sprawling mansion only steps away from the actionIT MAY feel like it’s a world away but this acreage property is only a short walk to Robina Town Centre. That was the idea according to homeowners Jodi and Kris Booth, who bought the block 13 years ago. 18 Boolama Place, Mudgeeraba.The family built the six-bedroom house with American architecture in mind. Mrs Booth said the house was designed for entertaining, with enough space to raise her two sons. 18 Boolama Place, Mudgeeraba.“The gardens are my favourite part and we did a lot of landscaping to get the property to feel like a slice of tropical paradise instead of a farm, ” she said.
REAL ESTATE: 49 Nicholson Street Mitchelton was a passion project for one young couple.A YOUNG couple came close to doubling their money when a 1950s era home they did up sold at auction. 49 Nicholson Street Mitchelton floorplan.Kelly and Scott Summers bought the single storey, three-bedroom home at 49 Nicholson St, Mitchelton, back in 2011 for $517,000.After several years of transforming it into a modern, Hamptons style double-storey home, it sold under the hammer for $935,000.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus19 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market19 hours ago The auction attracted a crowd of bidders and onlookers. Photo AAP/ Ric FrearsonMrs Summers said they always saw that there was great potential in what could be done to the home.“I felt that we created a house that would appeal to many people,” Mrs Summers said.“I don’t think we went too crazy in any particular direction.”The home was elevated and built out, with extra space for entertaining inside as well as two extra bedrooms. 49 Nicholson Street Mitchelton“He (Scott) did the floorplan and I did the interior design,” she said.They were happy with the price and had even bought their next fixer-upper in Ashgrove.“We didn’t overcapitalise and we were always very conscious of the suburb we were in,” she said. She said that popular additions to the home were the dressing room and the barbecue area.
The guest suite opens to the front veranda. Picture: Supplied.Ms Masters said the extension was built where an old garage once stood. “We didn’t want to lose any green space so we decided to go up and create an adult retreat,” she said. “We wanted to retain the character and flow of the original house, with a modern edge.”Outside, the property includes established gardens, a patio and a paved area leading to a covered entertaining area and deck. The property is being marketed by Judy Newlands of McGrath Estate Agents New Farm. The home will go to auction on Saturday, February 23 at 10am. The home at 30 Queens Rd, Clayfield. Picture: SuppliedTHIS century-old Queenslander has been renovated and extended for modern living while still retaining plenty of original charm. The home at 30 Queens Rd, Clayfield, is on an 804sq m block with established gardens creating a private oasis.In the original part of the home, built in the early 1900s, there are separate lounge, dining and kitchen areas with the lounge opening to the veranda and the dining room opening to the patio. Timber floorboards, VJ walls and breezeways feature throughout the home. Picture: Supplied.Ms Masters said the feature fireplace inspired the home’s recent renovation. “We focused our design around the fireplace. It’s so beautiful … we modelled the whole colour scheme of the house around it,” she said. A two-storey extension at the back of the home incorporates a laundry and living area downstairs and a spacious main suite with walk-in wardrobe, ensuite and two balconies upstairs. The new kitchen was designed around the original fireplace. Picture: Supplied.Two of the bedrooms have built-in robes and the third has an ensuite and walk-in robe. The new kitchen has Caesarstone benchtops, modern cabinetry and an original fireplace. Owner Amanda Masters said the kitchen was her favourite part of the house. “It’s the hub of the home. The layout draws people from the other rooms,” she said.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus14 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market14 hours ago“It’s a nice spot for to sit and relax while I’m cooking.”
GREENSBURG – Decatur County Schools are hosting a disaster exercise Friday afternoon to complete the training of the first “Student CERT Team” for the school corporation.After the training is complete twenty-four students will be recognized as “Community Emergency Response Team” members. It will allow the school corporation to place a rapid student response team in each of the county high schools. Students receive disaster medical training, triage training, fire suppression, and incident command training before course graduation.“Friday’s exercise will put the students through their paces in all the areas they trained in over the last three days,” said Johnny Budd, superintendent of Decatur County Community Schools.“In a rural community with only two on-duty ambulances a group of trained in-house responders is vital to our ability to provide necessary self-help until additional emergency services can arrive.”The school corporation received a grant from the Indiana Department of Homeland Security earlier this year. As a result, the school hired the first ever School Resource Officer and have taken other safety measures.The safety grants were intended to take an all hazard approach and not specifically focused on school violence.Friday’s training takes place at the Decatur County Sheriff’s Department.
Varsity Tennis: OA 5, East Central 0JV: OA 2, EC 2Next match: @ Shelbyville v Mooresville 5/7Season record: 9-2Courtesy of Twisters Coach Mark Wilder.
Kelly Shryock clinched the Arnold Motor Supply Hawkeye Dirt Tour championship with his third straight runner-up finish Wednesday at Buena Vista Raceway. (Photo by Jim Steffens)ALTA, Iowa (Aug. 9) – Chris Abelson took the checkers while Kelly Shryock took the championship of the Arnold Motor Supply Hawkeye Dirt Tour Wednesday at Buena Vista Raceway.Abelson passed Shryock for the lead early in the IMCA Modified 30-lapper, stayed in front to the finish of a feature that ran caution-free and pocketed $1,000 forChris Abelson was the winner of the Wednesday night Arnold Motor Supply Hawkeye Dirt Tour main event at Buena Vista Raceway. The 30-lap IMCA Modified feature ran green to checkered. (Photo by SM Photos)his second tour victory of the season.After finishing in the top five in all but one of the nine tour events – and placing second in each of the last three – Shryock earned a $1,000 share of the tour point fund, along with a Traeger Lil’ Tex Elite Pellet Grill courtesy of Arnold Motor Supply.“Winning a championship is cool,” said Shryock, the eighth different driver to win the Hawkeye Dirt Tour title in as many years. “Maybe we can repeat next year.”Abelson, the 2016 tour champion, has run part-time this season at Alta. He drew the fifth starting spot for the main event and didn’t need much time to get to thefront.“We had kind of a rough start to the year,” he acknowledged, “but winning tour races at Knoxville (on July 20) and Alta sure helped.”Lapped traffic wasn’t a factor and Abelson won half a straightaway ahead of Shryock. Joel Rust, Corey Dripps and Hunter Marriott completed the top five.With his latest runner-up finish, Shryock became the fourth driver to win the Hawkeye Dirt Tour title without winning a feature: Mike Jergens did so in 2010, Ronn Lauritzen in 2013 and Kyle Brown in 2015.“The feature at Clay County (on Aug. 7) was our saving grace. We restarted at the back and somehow came out of dead last to salvage a good finish,” Shryock said. “We got a rare good draw tonight and started up front. Chris was unbelievably fast early and I knew he would be coming.”While he makes plans to defend his championship next year, Shryock will also be looking to sharpen his grilling skills.“We haven’t grilled much,” he said. “But we’re going to learn.”Other winners Wednesday at Alta were Devin Smith in the IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars, Dillon Magnussen in the IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stocks, Jake Sachau in the Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMods and Andrew Harris in the Mach-1 Sport Compacts.IMCA Speedweek for the Modifieds continues with three events at Hancock County Speedway in Britt, the Aug. 10 Night of 1,000 Stars, the Aug. 11 Night of 10,000 Stars and the Aug. 12 Shryock Memorial All Star special.All three will be broadcast by IMCATV.Feature results – 1. Chris Abelson, Sioux City; 2. Kelly Shryock, Fertile; 3. Joel Rust, Grundy Center; 4. Corey Dripps, Reinbeck; 5. Hunter Marriott, Brookfield, Mo.; 6. Bob Moore, Sioux City; 7. Jacob Murray, Hartford; 8. Steven Bowers Jr., Topeka, Kan.; 9. Kyle Strickler, Mooresville, N.C.; 10. Clint Luellen, Minburn; 11. Ethan Dotson, Bakersfield, Calif.; 12. Travis Hatcher, Honey Creek; 13. Jason Briese, Cleghorn; 14. Kody Scholpp, Estevan, Sask.; 15. Tom Berry Jr., Medford, Ore.; 16. Ricky Stephan, South Sioux City, Neb.; 17. D.J. Shannon, Merced, Calif.; 18. Shawn Ritter, Keystone; 19. Harvey Vande Weerd, Alton; 20. Steve Reynolds, Springfield, S.D.; 21. Alex Reetz, Dunlap; 22. Cory Sauerman, Grimes; 23. Jim Mathieson, Sioux City; 24. Stacey Mills, Webb; 25. Clayton Christensen, Spencer.
Northern Ireland manager Michael O’Neill has been forced to make changes to his squad for the midweek friendly in Malta after several players withdrew through injury. Goalkeepers Roy Carroll (back) and Trevor Carson (broken finger), defensive duo Ryan McGivern (hamstring) and Ryan McLaughlin (calf), midfielder Oliver Norwood (foot) and striker Jamie Ward (hamstring) have all pulled out of the squad because of concerns over their fitness. As a result, Ipswich midfielder Josh Carson, Aberdeen striker Josh Magennis and Derry City goalkeeper Gerard Doherty have been called up as replacements. O’Neill is confident the new arrivals will be able to do the business on Wednesday at the Ta’ Qali National Stadium. “I am obviously very disappointed at losing the guys but very happy with the new call ups into the squad,” he said on irishfa.com. “This gives me an opportunity to see them over the coming days in training. “We have a very young squad but it is nice to have the experienced players with us for the game in Malta.” Press Association