The first ever detergent refill operation in Guyana was launched on Saturday by Dunae Trading Company. The company, which is a local manufacturer of liquid detergents and sanitizers, introduced this initiative so as to utilize plastic containers which are meant to be discarded.Co-owner of the business, Dwayne Younge, explained that this initiative will help to decrease the amount of waste being generated by householders.“We’ve just provided a space for persons who want to be environmentally conscious and…save on the cost they’re paying for detergents” he noted.Younge also noted that consumers who wish to take advantage of the low cost for detergents can bring their containers to the centre and refill them with their choice of liquid detergent. In this process, persons would also assist in the reduction of plastic packaging and utilisation of unwanted plastic bottles.There presently are eight types of cleansing agents available, primarily dishwashing liquid, antibacterial hand soap, multipurpose cleanser, disinfectant liquid, laundry detergent, fabric softener, car wash liquid, and degreaser liquid.Persons who wish to support this environmentally-friendly initiative can visit the centre at the Harris Paints Building at Third Avenue, Diamond Housing Scheme on the East Bank of Demerara (EBD).
Five armed bandits assaulted a young couple after breaking into their East Canje, Berbice home, carting off cash, jewellery and other valuables in the wee hours of Wednesday morning.The window through which one of the bandits entered the homeNavindra SinghNavindra Singh, also called ‘Surish’, said it was the third attempt to get into his Bristol Street home over the past four days.Of the five masked men, one was armed with a gun and three with cutlasses.The men gained entry through a window situated in the washroom.At the time Singh, his wife and a baby were at home.Singh, speaking with Guyana Times, he explained that one of the men entered through the window and then opened the back door for the others.Singh said as soon as he realised that bandits had gained entry to the house, he alerted neighbours.“One jump on the chair and push a gun in from over the wall and tell me to be quiet or he gon shoot. Two of them kick and kick and brake open the bedroom door,” he related.The bandits managed to steal two cellular phones, an electronic tablet and a laptop computer, along with $270,000 worth in jewellery and $40,000 in cash.During the eight minute ordeal, Singh observed that two of the bandits had a small row over the money collected from the wardrobe.He noted too that one of the bandits identified him by his calling name.Meanwhile, Singh explained that neighbours had called the Police and the fifth man who stood at the door alerted the others that they had to leave as he grew suspicious of the Police arriving.They hurriedly left the premises by scaling the back fence.The homeowner told this publication that the persons who broke into his home seem to be very familiar with the layout of the building.He noted that the house was previously occupied by questionable characters, leading him to believe that they may be behind the crime.Meanwhile, Singh suspected that the bandits attempted to break into his house previously.He told this publication that on Saturday night he heard strange sounds coming from the yard and his dog was continuously barking.He also noted that on Sunday morning he discovered that one part of a window had been removed but he had replaced it during the day. That night, he said he heard someone on the roof of the house and raised an alarm.Singh said neighbours came out and they noticed movement in a clump of bushes behind his house. The Police were called but never showed up.An investigation has been launched into the incident.
Callum Wilson in action for Bournemouth 1 West Ham boss Sam Allardyce has quashed rumours of a summer move for Bournemouth striker Callum Wilson.The 23-year-old former Coventry forward, who also spent loan spells at Tamworth and Kettering, has scored 20 League goals in 44 appearances for the Cherries this season.Wilson, who moved to the South Coast club for £3 million last summer, is a widely-reported target for Aston Villa, Crystal Palace, Swansea and Newcastle, with the required fee believed to be upwards of £10 million.However, Allardyce confirmed the East London club are not prepared to pay over the odds for the English striker.“Callum Wilson would probably be too expensive and with Bournemouth getting promoted, they will put a huge number on his head,” said Allardyce.“I’m sure they wouldn’t want to lose such an important player for next season.”Although there was no update on Allardyce’s contract, which is set to run out at the end of the season, the former Bolton manager revealed that preparations have began for next season.“We know the pre-season plans and people behind the scenes are starting to target players for next season, so once we decide what happens with some of the players we currently have, and also what happens with me, then we will move forward for next season.”
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREOregon Ducks football players get stuck on Disney ride during Rose Bowl event“This is absolutely, positively massive. This is massive for this street,” Burbank resident LaVerne Thomas said of the Hood project. “New York City, here we come.” Local resident Steven Baer was outraged about the proposed plan on Hood. “If we thought that a very large, 24-unit apartment building constructed on four adjacent lots was good for our small residential street, we wouldn’t be here,” he said. “This building is too big for our neighborhood.” Daniel Fera, the project applicant, said he has proposed a tasteful complex with lots of shrubbery that will fit in nicely with the surrounding area. He promised to be a good neighbor. “I understand that there’s a lot of passion here today,” he said of the appeals hearing. “We’re compassionate of that. We’re very proud of the city of Burbank. And we definitely do care about the well-being of the community.” The Hood complex includes studio and two-bedroom units over an underground garage with 55 parking stalls. It would include an exercise room, a backyard swimming pool and spa and a rooftop common area. The project would sit on the site of four former lots on 25,171 square feet in the 4100 block of Hood. BURBANK – The Burbank Planning Board has denied an appeal by residents opposed to a 24-unit apartment complex, but recommended imposing conditions to alleviate traffic and construction impacts around the Hood Avenue site. The board suggested putting up signs around the site directing neighbors to a hotline that would take their concerns so city staffers could come up with ways to alleviate traffic impacts on Hood, a short street near the Lakeside Golf Course. During a meeting Monday night, “the most common theme I heard from speakers was traffic,” Planning Board member Mitchell Thomas said. Ten residents spoke against the project. During the meeting, the board also shot down an appeal on a separate, two-story, 11-unit complex on Delaware Road. City officials approved the application for the project in August. In October, Burbank and Toluca Lake residents signed a petition raising concerns about the plan. They first made their appeals in February. Before the vote during Monday night’s meeting, Planning Board member Amy Lawrence said she wanted to help make sure residents’ concerns about traffic were addressed. “To picture that development on that street is very, very difficult because it is so much bigger than the other developments on that street,” she said. “Having said that, something will be developed on that lot. So I think I would bend over backwards to address the problems.” Residents have 15 days to appeal the Planning Board’s decision to the City Council. If no objections are raised, city officials estimate the project could break ground within the next few months. email@example.com (818) 546-3306160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
=7. Leonardo Jardim (Monaco) 20/1 11 11 11 11 Chelseas managerial situation is currently about as clear as mud.Antonio Conte still remains in the Stamford Bridge hotseat despite mass speculation that he will be leaving the club this summer.The Blues are reported to have been talking to a number of potential replacements, however, doubts surrounding Roman Abramovichs current visa situation appear to be affecting this process.So who are the names in the hat to be Conte’s successor should he be relieved of his duties?Click the right arrow above to find out the contenders ranked by the current odds on SkyBet…*Odds correct as of June 6, 2018=10. Brendan Rodgers (Celtic) 25/1 1. Laurent Blanc (Unattached) 11/10 9. Rui Faria (Unattached) 22/1 11 11 6. Avram Grant (NorthEast United FC) 16/1 11 =7. Massimiliano Allegri (Juventus) 20/1 Brendan Rodgers is tenth favourite at 25/1 4. Slavisa Jokanovic (Fulham) 7/1 11 2. Maurizio Sarri (Napoli) 3/1 11 3. Luis Enrique (Unattached) 5/1 11 5. Zinedine Zidane (Unattached) 10/1 11
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! It took rescue workers two hours Monday to get power plant welder Larry Neighbors out of a 3-foot-deep trench at the Pasadena Water and Power Steam Generation Plant at 45 E. Glenarm St. Rescue services were called to the scene at 9:30 a.m. after Neighbors fell into the trench while working in the plant’s boiler room. Upon rescue, Neighbors, 58, a 20-year PWP employee, complained of back pain and was taken to Huntington Hospital for treatment. Urban Search and Rescue teams from Pasadena, Glendale and Burbank assisted in the rescue.
A series of unique and insightful talks which will discuss and highlight the impact World War 1 had on Donegal, will be chronicled in a series of talks by Monreagh Heritage Centre which takes place all over Donegal during the next two weeks.The talks will focus on the The First World War and its impact on Donegal, and it will be delivered by Steve Hunter from Monreagh Heritage Centre at venues across the county. The talks are centred around the following theme – HANDS OF HISTORY – ONE DONEGAL – MANY PASTS – ONE FUTUREThe talks offer a truly fascinating and detailed insight into the impact the war had on Donegal and the role many of its sons and daughters played in The Great War.Speakers will recall the involvement of people from Donegal in World War I and will look at the personal stories of those involved, as well as giving a broad overview of the events of World War I.The talks which are FREE to attend, start next Monday night at the Monreagh Heritage Centre in Carrigans. Below is the detailed timetable of the dates and venues.VENUES:Monreagh Heritage Centre Carrigans: Monday 8th September 7.30pm – 9.30pmDonegal Town Family Resource Centre: Tuesday 9th September 7.30pm – 9.30pmMilford & District Resource Centre: Wednesday 10th September 7.30pm – 9.30pmFinn Valley Centre Stranorlar: Monday 15th September 7.00pm – 9.00pm Ionad Teampaill Chróine Dungloe: Thursday 18th September 7.30pm – 9.30pmAs stated above admission is FREE and light refreshments will also be provided – FREE of charge.For further details phone 074 9140708 or email office@monreaghnetThis project is funded by the Hands of History Project which is supported by the European Union’s Regional Development Fund, through the EU Programme for Peace and Reconciliation managed for the Special EU Programmes Body by Donegal County Council. SERIES OF TALKS DETAILING DONEGAL’S ROLE IN WORLD WAR 1 TAKES PLACE NEXT WEEK was last modified: September 4th, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:FeaturesHeritage CentrenewsNoticesTalksWorld War 1
A Dunfanaghy man who was listed to appear before a court in Sydney Australia on August 15th in relation to a serious road traffic collision has had his case adjourned until October 10th.The Tirconail Tribune reports that Terence Wilkinson was arrested on board a flight destined for Ireland a number of days after it is alleged he was the driver of a car involved in a serious road traffic collision in a suburb of Sydney on July 27th. He is charged with not give particulars in relation to damage of property, two counts of bodily harm by misconduct, in charge of a vehicle, dangerous and negligent driving causing grievous bodily harm.He was also charged with two counts of failing to stop and assist after impact causing injury and one charge of failing to stop and assist after vehicle impact. He was released on continuing bail for his case appear at local court, Downing Centre, Sydney on October 10th but he waas excused from attending on that occasion.His bail terms include: surrender of his passport and he is not allowed to apply for another, sign on daily at a local police station. Refrain from consuming alcohol or un-prescribed drugs and observe a curfew to remain at a fixed address between the hours of 9.00pm and 5.00am daily.Dunfanaghy man released on bail following Australian crash was last modified: August 29th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:AustraliacrashdonegalDunfanaghyTerence Wilkinson
The South African Police Services havenotched up many successes in thefight against crime.(Image: South African Police Services)Janine ErasmusPolice statistics for the period April 2007- March 2008 showed a decrease across the board in contact crime, but an increase in home and business robberies. Minister of Safety and Security Charles Nqakula released the figures on 30 June 2008 at a media briefing.He indicated that although the most recent statistics did show a continuation of the steady decline in crime levels achieved over the past five years, government still considers them to be unacceptably high and was continually striving to address the issue with a number of strategies.Contact crime was down by 6.4%, said Nqakula, in all categories. These are common robbery, rape, attempted murder, robbery with aggravating circumstances, common assault, murder, assault with grievous bodily harm, and indecent assault. Murder, in fact, is at its lowest levels since 2003.“The decrease in murder is connected to the decrease in aggravated robbery, which is often accompanied by bloodshed as firearms are used in the commission of such crimes,” said Nqakula.Although the 2007/2008 figure falls somewhat short of the target of 7-10% reduction in contact crime set by the police back in 2004, such crime has decreased annually by an average of 7.0% since then. Other crime categories that recorded decreases include motor vehicle theft, which fell by 7%, and residential burglary which decreased by 4.7%.However, said the minister, business and home robberies were still increasing, as were car and truck hijackings. Nqakula partly attributed the increase in hijackings to organised crime, explaining that criminals sought vehicles for getaways and to use as battering rams in cash-in-transit incidents. Cash-in-transit attacks, meanwhile, showed a significant decrease of 15.4 %.Organised crime and criminal gangs are a particular focus of the police, said the minister, as they wreak havoc against society although comparatively speaking, they make up a small percentage of crime overall. “The police identified and investigated during the period under review 145 organised crime groups. 131 syndicate leaders and 375 syndicate members were arrested.”Taking action against crimeThe minister cited prevailing socio-economic conditions as a major contributing factor to crime, saying that people often committed crimes out of need, while criminals bought the silence of residents in their communities.Nqakula noted that the co-operation of these communities was crucial if the police were to win the fight against crime. He encouraged communities to continue to work with the police. “It is our experience that in areas where communities are working together with the police, crime levels there have been reduced, quite drastically in some respects.”The minister explained that the police force had been bolstered in areas where it was most needed. “One of the important interventions that government made was the redeployment of more and better resources to the various police stations in the country where crime fighting actually happens,’ said Nqakula, adding that over 14 000 police members were deployed to 606 stations around the country.“Some of the deployees were experienced police managers and commanders who served, previously, at the national and area levels of the South African Police Service. Some of the stations received allocations of reservists who are a force-multiplier to the police. “Nqakula also praised business for its involvement, and said that organisations such as Business Against Crime were crucial to the cause as they contribute human and material resources to combat crime.Other interventions singled out include 16 Days of Activism Campaign for No Violence Against Women and Children, as well as the related Operation Basadi campaign which follows up unresolved cases of abuse of women, and Operation Isondlo which identifies and punishes fathers who default on their children’s maintenance.The complete report on crime statistics for 2007/2008 can be downloaded from the Institute for Security Studies or the South African Police Services websites.Related storiesCrime in South AfricaUseful linksDepartment of Safety and SecuritySouth African Police ServicesInstitute for Security StudiesDepartment of JusticeCrimestats