1 Kevin De Bruyne Wolfsburg have NOT agreed a fee with Manchester City for Kevin De Bruyne but talks over a deal are underway, the German club have confirmed. Reports surfaced on Wednesday night that Wolfsburg had accepted an offer of around £54m to sell the Belgian winger to City.But the Bundesliga side’s sporting director, Klaus Allofs, insists those reports are premature and maintains they will only allow De Bruyne to part on their terms.“There is no agreement with De Bruyne and with Manchester City,” Allofs said at a press conference on Thursday.“We have agreed to open negotiations, and that has happened, but Kevin is still a Wolfsburg player.“We are not in any rush to get this (transfer) through. The interests of both sides must be considered.“If our expectations are not fulfilled, Kevin will be playing for Wolfsburg this season, and I wouldn’t mind that.“In the end, there can only be winners from this deal and that applies also to Wolfsburg. If that is not the case, then there will be no transfer.”Earlier, Allofs had told Sport Bild magazine that his club cannot afford to turn down such sums like perhaps Bayern Munich can, hinting that there would be a point when they would accept an offer from City.“People do think that money does not come into it with Volkswagen (the club’s backers), but that is not the case,” he said.“VW and we place a lot of importance on being economically sound.“Compared to the top clubs in Europe, we have very little means at our disposal. We must also adhere to UEFA’s Financial Fair Play. We can’t compete with (Bayern).”Until a suitable offer is made, however, De Bruyne will continue to be considered a Wolfsburg player, also by their coach Dieter Hecking.“I am naming 18 players in my squad to face Schalke (on Friday night) and I expect Kevin to be one of them,” he said.
Jurgen Klopp is reportedly willing to cut short his sabbatical for the right Premier League job 1 Despite the statements from Liverpool, Jurgen Klopp continues to be linked with the club.The Reds have denied they have contacted the German about replacing manager Brendan Rodgers. However, according to Sky Sports, Klopp, who left Borussia Dortmund to take a year out at the end of last season, is said to be willing to cut short his sabbatical if the right Premier League job became available.LIVERPOOL HAVE DECIDED TO REPLACE BRENDAN RODGERS, TALKSPORT TOLDThis was a selection of the reaction online to the news.
Join Paul and Andy for the best bits from Thursday’s show.
1 Chelsea and Manchester United have been told to splash out £35m if they want to sign Athletic Bilbao star Aymeric Laporte.The 21-year-old is one of the most promising centre-backs in Europe and has already been scouted by several clubs.Barcelona have previously expressed an interest, while both Chelsea and Manchester United are also monitoring the France under-21 international’s development.But now, according to El Correo, the Premier League pair have been told it will cost them £35m if they want to sign Laporte.That amount matches the defender’s release-clause and Bilbao have no plans to sell unless they receive such a fee. Aymeric Laporte
Daniel Sturridge 1 Daniel Sturridge is no nearer to returning to action for Liverpool, Jurgen Klopp has revealed.The England striker, who has been blighted by injury in recent seasons, is currently suffering with a knee problem.He is yet to play under Klopp, with his last appearance for the club coming in the Merseyside draw at Goodison Park on October 4.It had been hoped Sturridge would return in Saturday’s visit of Southampton, but he played no part in the 1-1 draw at Anfield.And there appears to be no timescale on when he will be available again, with Klopp revealing he is out of Wednesday’s Capital One Cup clash with Bournemouth. “There’s nothing new. Daniel’s not available,” said the German.“He’s getting better but not quick enough to change the situation for us. He’s not in training so we have to wait.”
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m. It was also not immediately known how many residents were forced to flee the mountaintop resort communities as many are part-time residents of the area, which at its seasonal height is home to upwards of 15,000 people. LAKE ARROWHEAD – Wind-whipped fires tore through the San Bernardino mountains for a third day Tuesday, forcing the evacuation of entire communities surrounding the resort area of Lake Arrowhead and raising the number of homes destroyed to more than 400. Thousands of people, including hospital patients, were forced to flee advancing flames that leaped through the mountains, burning one home after another and threatening as many as 10,000 residences, said U.S. Forest Service spokeswoman Gina Sampson. The two-pronged fire destroyed 425 homes in the Lake Arrowhead and Running Springs communities, sending thousands fleeing down the mountain, Sampson said. One of the fires was threatening at least 10,000 homes; the other was threatening 400. Mountain Community Hospital in Lake Arrowhead was evacuated, and patients in hospital gowns were transported out of the area. Sampson said it was not immediately known where the patients were taken.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Bruce Pettit, who is helping organize the events, said he was disappointed Holsinger canceled. “He needs to see our witnessing perhaps as much as anyone,” said Pettit. “We do these vigils so we can turn people’s minds around, turn people’s hearts around.” Holsinger, a Kentucky cardiologist, was nominated for surgeon general by President George W. Bush in May. He has faced criticism for voting to expel a lesbian pastor from the United Methodist Church and writing in 1991 that gay sex is unnatural and unhealthy. At Senate confirmation hearings in July, Holsinger distanced himself from the 1991 paper, saying that was based on data available at the time and asserting he has “a deep, deep appreciation for the essential humanity of everyone, regardless of their personal circumstances or their sexual orientation.” The Senate has not yet taken a vote on the appointment. SAN FRANCISCO – Surgeon General nominee James Holsinger, who has been criticized by gay rights groups, is bowing out of a meeting of the United Methodist top court whose agenda includes dealing with the issue of a transgender pastor. Holsinger, president of the United Methodist Judicial Council, said he will not participate when the council meets in San Francisco this week because of concerns his nomination could become a distraction. “While I remain dedicated to fulfilling the role to which I was elected, I believe this is a time in which my service to the Council can best be demonstrated by my absence,” Holsinger said in a statement. The council’s docket contains several issues of interest to the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community and some church members are holding a vigil and other events to highlight those issues. The transgender case before the council involves the Rev. Ann Gordon, who spent five years as minister at St. John’s United Methodist Church in Baltimore before undergoing surgery and hormone therapy and becoming the Rev. Drew Phoenix. Phoenix was reappointed this spring by Bishop John Schol of the Methodists’ Baltimore-Washington Annual Conference, who noted that the denomination’s Book of Discipline said nothing about transgender clergy. The United Methodist Church bars appointing self-avowed practicing gay clergy and does not support gay unions. The council is looking at whether the Board of Ordain Ministry should conduct a review if a pastor changes gender, and whether the denomination allows transgender people to be appointed as Methodist ministers. The meeting ends Saturday and the decision is expected to be released soon after. Other issues on the docket include benefits for domestic partners of lay employees and who is included in the definition of “affirming all families.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Fran Shields, director of community services, in a written staff report, had proposed a laser show, but council members poo-pooed that idea. Council member Cathy Warner didn’t like the proposal. “I would tend to support actual fireworks because it’s traditional,” Warner said. But some council members – Bob Henderson and Greg Nordbak – are worried about the cost. “I don’t care for it,” Nordbak said. “I didn’t like it this year. I felt we spent an awful lot of money for what we got out of our buck.” Whittier Mayor Owen Newcomer wasn’t as concerned. “I’m not particularly troubled by spending $25,000 for a party,” Newcomer said. “That’s $9,000 more than we have in the budget.” Henderson had similar concerns to Nordbak’s, in part because of another proposal to include banners honoring the Blue Star program that could cost from $6,000 to $25,000. In this program, the city would set up banners throughout Whittier honoring Blue Star families – those with children serving in the military. “I could see us spending $35,000 to $40,000,” Henderson said. The council earlier this week did approve a $6,000 Blue Star program, but wanted more information before deciding whether to have fireworks. firstname.lastname@example.org (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3022160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! WHITTIER – The 2007 Independence Day celebration was a small ceremony with a family picnic and some games. But there were no fireworks and few showed up for the event, held at Joe Miller Field. But some City Council members – in particular Councilman Joe Vinatieri – want a bigger show with fireworks. This is driven by the fact that the use of fireworks is illegal in Whittier. But such a show is going to cost more money, which has others on the council concerned. While this year’s show only cost $16,565, doing fireworks could be an additional $25,000. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Now, city staff must return with specific information on just how much it will cost to put on a show. “I find it troubling that Whittier doesn’t have an Independence Day celebration,” Vinatieri said. “I appreciate the fact that we had one last year, but it was in the afternoon.” Vinatieri said he wants the city to have a fireworks show beginning at 6 p.m. including games for children, and entertainment. It again would be at Joe Miller Field. The fireworks show wouldn’t be on the level of other nearby communities because there’s not enough space and thus it’s too dangerous, Vinatieri said. But a smaller show is possible, he said.
“We’ll continue to monitor that as we get toward the end of the week and see how things shake out,” she said. email@example.com (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2236160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre He said about 21 extra firefighters will be standing by countywide, down from the 100 originally planned. “Right now, we’ve scaled that back quite a bit because of what the weather service was predicting,” he said. “The initial forecast was predicting severe Santa Ana conditions, but they’ve revised that.” National Weather Service officials said they were monitoring the situation, but don’t expect significant winds to return until the weekend. “We’re still seeing dropping humidity once the marine layer clears,” Hurd said. “There are still some fairly severe conditions because of the ongoing drought.” Bartling said specialists will continue to watch for the predicted return of the Santa Anas. Sunny, cool conditions are expected to remain through Thanksgiving weekend, as Santa Ana winds return this week, officials said. Temperatures will remain in the mid-70s and upper 60s with mostly clear skies throughout the week, said Bonnie Bartling, weather specialist with the National Weather Service. An off-shore wind will be blowing over the next several days between 15 and 25 mph. Despite cooler weather, there is still a fire risk because of dry conditions, a fire inspector said. “Just be cautious about using spark-causing machinery and camp fires,” Los Angeles County Fire Inspector Jason Hurd said. “Be cognizant of where you are, and if you see any smoke, dial 9-1-1 immediately.”