All gassed up

first_imgWith oil prices on the global market fluctuating frequently, gas prices in South Florida seem to be taking motorists on a “hill and gully ride” as described so colorfully by North Miami resident, Jamaican-American Rohan Godfries.Gas prices in the South Florida region has hardly remained the same through a recent week. It has increased to an average of over $2.50 a gallon for a period last month, then fluctuating to an average of $2.36 earlier this week. Now, with oil prices rising to over $51 per barrel this week and Memorial Day Weekend approaching, gas prices are set to increase again.According to the American Automobile Association (AAA) spokesperson Mark Jenkins, prices are expected to increase another 10 cents on average over the upcoming holidays.The average price of unleaded gas per gallon fluctuated from county to county in South Florida as of Monday. The average in Broward County was $2.36, similar to the national average; Miami-Dade County $2.37. In Palm Beach County, the average was highest at $2.42 per gallon.Broward County had prices as low as $2.17 and $2.18 at some gas stations mostly in the eastern region of the county.After the Memorial Day weekend gas prices could hover around the $2.50 average per gallon as OPEC members are scheduled to meet this week to discuss the scope of oil production. To ease rapidly declining oil prices in 2016, as an oil glut suppressed price per barrel, OPEC countries reduced production. This increased the price from as low as $38 per barrel to over $50. It’s expected that OPEC members will vote to continue limited oil production for the immediate future. If this happens price at the pump could remain at or over $2.50 per gallon.However, increased prices at the pump isn’t expected to deter traveling over the holiday weekend. Godfries said he has become accustomed to the fluctuating prices, and “after paying over $4 per gallon just two years ago $2.50 is still a great bargain. I plan to full my Ford Explorer tank on Saturday morning and head out with the family to Tampa for the long weekend.”last_img read more

The National Association of Black Journalists South-Florida Chapter to Host ‘Breathing…

first_imgMIAMI, Florida – The South Florida chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ-South Florida) is hosting a Town Hall meeting entitled “Breathing While Black.”This public event precedes NABJ’s Convention and Career Fair, Aug. 7-11 at the JW Marriott Miami Turnberry.  The town hall will be hosted by NBC 6 Anchor Jawan Strader and will be live-streamed on www.nbc6.com during a special edition of “Voices with Jawan Strader.” The event will take place on Tuesday, August 6, at Florida Memorial University.“We’re proud supporters of NABJ,” said Larry Olevitch, President and General Manager at NBC 6.  “Voices with Jawan Strader gives a platform to South Florida’s diverse community every week, talking about real issues and highlighting true difference makers, so it made perfect sense for us to be partners in bringing this town hall to life.”Confirmed panelists for the event include FIU Police Captain Delrish Moss, Miami Civilian Investigative Panel’s Rodney Jacobs, Jr., BSO Deputies Association President Jeff Bell, activist Phillip Agnew, Dyma Loving and her attorney Justin Moore.“We think it’s important that we have these inclusive conversations impacting the community, particularly, the black community,” said Russell Motley, president of NABJ-South Florida. “We appreciate NBC 6 and NBC 6 Voices for guiding this discussion to help work toward solutions.”Civic and resource organizations will be present at the town hall to offer services and information to attendees. Confirmed participants include; NAMI Miami-Dade, The Urban League of Broward County, OIC of South Florida, NAACP Miami-Dade, Miami Civilian Investigative Panel, Legal Services of Greater Miami, Trayvon Martin Foundation, Broward State Attorney’s Office and Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office.last_img read more

DRUMline Live! Is Coming to the Miramar Cultural Center

first_img(MIRAMAR, FL. – DRUMLINE LIVE! The Greatest show on stage is coming to the Miramar Cultural Center, Friday January 17th,2020 at 8pm! Hosted by Mayor Wayne M. Messam! Don’t miss the explosive choreography and thrilling spectacles! Come early and rep your HBCU/Greek Letters at the preshow tailgate from 5:30 pm – 7:30pm including a Battle of the Bands and Divine 9 step show!This is a show-stopping attraction, created by the musical team behind the 20th Century Fox’s hit movie, “Drumline!”  The legendary Historically Black College and University (HBCU) band experience comes alive with world-class of percussionists, musicians and dancers.  With riveting rhythms, bold beats and ear-grabbing energy, DRUMLine Live is a synchronized musical showcase that will feature various genres of music including Hip Hop, American Soul, Gospel and Jazz.  It brings a unique style of drumming, mesmerizing musicianship, and energetic choreography NEVER seen on stage before.The pre-show tailgate is FREE and open to the Community! To purchase tickets for the show, visit www.miramarculturalcenter.org. You don’t want to miss this extraordinary experience!last_img read more

Haiti Becomes CARICOM Country with Highest COVID-19 Cases

first_imgPORT AU PRINCE, Haiti – Haiti has become the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) country with the highest number of positive cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) after the country recorded 77 news cases on Monday. The Ministry of Public Health said that the new cases bring to 533, the number of people who have tested positive for the virus since the first case in Haiti on March 19. It said that the death toll also increased by on to 21. CMC Jamaica had been the CARICOM country with the highest number of positive cases of the virus that was first detected in China last December and blamed for 315, 488 deaths and 4. Million others being infected globally.center_img On Sunday, Haiti recorded nearly 100 positive cases and the Ministry of Public Health in its latest statement said that the number of active cases now stands at 491 cases with the number of suspected cases followed being 2,120 cases. It said that the number of people hospitalized is 253 while 1,330 persons remain in quarantine at home. Jamaica’s health ministry on Monday said no new cases had been reported and that the total remained at 520 with nine deaths.last_img read more

Carabao Cup 4th Round: London Clubs Handed Tough Draws

first_imgRelated 4th Rpund Draw In Full:Arsenal vs. NorwichChelsea vs. EvertonTottenham vs. West HamManchester City vs. Wolverhampton WanderersLeicester City vs. Leeds UnitedBristol City vs. Crystal PalaceSwansea vs. Manchester UnitedBournemouth vs.  Middlesbrough Source: gettyimagesLondon sides Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspurs have been handed respective tough draws in the 4th round of the Carabao Cup after the draws took place on Wednesday night.English Premier League (EPL) champions Chelsea will host new spenders Everton at Stamford Bridge in what promises to be an interesting encounter while Tottenham will play fierce rivals West Ham United at their adopted home, Wembley Stadium, in an all-London clubs’ affair.In the pick of the other draws, Manchester City will entertain English championship spenders Wolverhampton Wanderers at the Etisalat Stadium while city rivals Manchester United will travel to Wales to face Swansea City. Another top team in Arsenal will host English championship side Norwich City for a place in the last eight.last_img read more

Manchester City Sign Danish Star, To Join Club In January

first_imgManchester City Women have made a major coup by signing Danish international Nadia Nadim.The Afghanistan-born forward will however not link up with the Women’s Super League (WSL) champions until January after she has completed the season with his current club, Portland Thorns in the United States.She was part of the Danish squad beaten in the final of Euro 2017 by hosts Netherlands. Nadia scored two goals in six appearances at the continental tournament.Speaking on the move, Nadia said her desire was to return to Europe to play for a big team.In her words, she said: “I always wanted to come back to Europe to play for a big team.”“I’m honoured to join Man City because it’s one of the biggest clubs in Europe. Being a part of that and contributing to the goals they have is a dream come true.” she concluded. Relatedlast_img read more

The Stars Group appoints Christopher Coyne as new Chief Customer Officer

first_img Tabcorp expects $1bn hit as ‘COVID and retail contractions’ take effect August 3, 2020 Related Articles Share StumbleUpon Share Submit ‘Deal maker’ Rafi Ashkenazi ends Flutter tenure  August 27, 2020 Ashkenazi joins BlueRibbon as strategic advisor July 27, 2020 Christopher CoyneToronto TSX-listed online gambling firm The Stars Group Inc, has confirmed the appointment of Christopher Coyne as new Group Chief Customer Officer (CCO).An experienced marketing and digital technology executive, Coyne joins the Stars Group executive team from Australian leisure and casino operator Crown Resorts, where he served as Chief Marketing Officer (2017-2017).Taking on the role of CCO, Coyne will be tasked with leading The Stars Group customer analysis and reporting intelligence between marketing, product and leadership divisions.Furthermore, The Stars Group governance informs that Coyne will be tasked with building holistic group-wide performance initiatives and projects for the operator’s brands and services.“Christopher’s wealth of experience brings a level of senior experience across a range of gaming, entertainment, and consumer brands that will be a huge asset to us. I look forward to working closely with him to ensure the customer remains at the heart of what we do and to capitalize on our competitive advantages,” said Rafi Ashkenazi, CEO of The Stars Group.“I am excited to help create the best possible customer experience across the Stars brands and bring value to the company while doing so. I look forward to extending my customer and commercial experience to help the company achieve its vision of becoming the world’s favourite gaming destination,” said Coyne on joining the Stars Grouplast_img read more

Mr Green announces partnership with Scottish champions

first_imgShare StumbleUpon Scottish government lifts shop restrictions on bookmakers July 13, 2020 Share BGC – Scotland and Wales must come clear on casino reopenings July 28, 2020 Submit England’s casinos to reopen on 1 August July 17, 2020 Related Articles After both speaking at this year’s Betting on Football Conference, online gaming operator Mr Green has partnered with Scottish Champions Celtic FC in a two-year deal that will see Mr Green as the club’s Official Casino Partner.As part of the partnership, Mr Green will develop an exclusive Celtic branded slot game which will feature current superstars and club legends, ready for release in early 2018. Mr Green customers will also get the chance to win VIP experiences at the Lennoxtown training ground as well as tickets to Celtic games throughout the 2017/18 season.The deal will be Mr Green’s first partnership in Scotland, after successful relationships with Wigan Athletic and Bohemian FC. Mr Green will be present at the Celtic games through pitch side LED screens as well as through digital inventory in the Celtic mobile and desktop sites. Gordon Kaye, Head of Business Development at Celtic, said: “We are very pleased to be partnering with Mr Green. We are certain both parties will enjoy a highly successful association with Celtic fans, both at the stadium and around the UK, benefiting from the partnership.”Celtic finished last season unbeaten in 47 league and cup games with the team widely known as ‘The Invincibles’. The team went on to win the domestic treble including the Scottish Premiership, Scottish Cup and Scottish League Cup. It is also a special year for Celtic, celebrating 50 years since lifting the European trophy in Lisbon.Jesper Kärrbrink, CEO, Mr Green Ltd, commented: “We are very excited to be able to partner with such a prestigious club with one of the biggest and strongest fan bases in the world. We are impressed with the continuous high performance by the club and we believe that we have found the perfect club to partner with.”last_img read more

Long awaited gambling triennial review met with mixed reaction

first_imgShare Related Articles Submit Cross-party think-tank calls for £100 monthly limit on gambling August 5, 2020 Winning Post: Political flip-floppery leads to uncertainty for casinos August 3, 2020 Share The UK Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) finally released its triennial review of gaming machines stakes and prizes this morning, ushering a 12 week period of proposals and consultation on industry changes. As part of the review, the Gambling minister Tracey Crouch underlined the importance of ‘striking the right balance between socially responsible growth and protecting the most vulnerable, including children, from gambling-related harm.’Crouch said: “Given the strong evidence and public concerns about the risks of high-stakes gaming machines on the high street, we are convinced of the need for action. That is why today we have set out a package of proposals to ensure all consumers and wider communities are protected.”However, in spite of the government pledging to decrease the maximum stake on the terminals from £100 to either £50/£30/£20 or £2, the review and the proposals that followed it, evoked a reaction that wasn’t completely positive.Both the review and the consultation period were welcomed by the Gambling Commission, as it emphasised that this 12 week period “provides an important opportunity to consider the impact that gambling can have for some people.” The Commission added: “We would encourage anyone with an interest in the regulation of gambling to ensure that their voices are heard through the consultation. Reducing the risks that people face from gambling, especially those that are vulnerable, is at the heart of our advice that we give to Government.”On the other hand, The Deputy Labour Leader Tom Watson, who recently unveiled Labour’s new policy to ban betting operators from sponsoring English football clubs,  voiced his disappointment to BBC’s Today programme over the need for a consultation period.Watson was joined by Newham Council, who also has a longstanding history of campaigning for the maximum stake of the terminals to be cut to £2, described the consultation period as “an unnecessary delay” and accused the government of “dragging its feet” over the issue.In Parliament this morning, Crouch responded to the claims that the consultation was unnecessary, describing the consultation as ‘due process, that we expect people to contribute to.’ The former Chair of the DCMS John Whittingdale also welcomed the consultation period, he then offered Crouch the opportunity to confirm that any future laws made with regards to the betting industry would be “evidence-based” which Crouch confirmed was the case.Also in Parliament, Labour’s Conor McGinn, who is the Joint Chairman of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Horse Racing, pointed out that Horse Racing relies heavily on not only, the levy from bookmakers, but also advertising.He then sought assurances from the Minister that she will work closely with the horse racing and gambling industry to ensure that whilst protecting those that are vulnerable to gambling addiction, there is also protection for  jobs and economic benefits that come from Horse Racing and race tracks.The Association of British Bookmakers (ABB), who last month reiterated that ‘betting shops offer the safest place to gamble on the high street, as responsible gambling is at the heart of their day to day running,’ stated that the report detailed a number of proposals that it will respond to. In a statement issued in response to the report, The ABB commented: “We believe the focus of any final decision should be to ensure measures are adopted that will be of genuine benefit to problem gamblers.“Betting shops cater for over 6 million customers every year and the vast majority of them gamble responsibly. We know that most problem gamblers use 7 or more different types of gambling products, therefore there is a challenge for the whole gambling industry to move from a position where there is a stable level of problem gambling in this country to one where problem gambling rates are decreasing.“Betting shops are investing very significant sums of money to help identify those at risk so that they get the help that they need, we are continually updating and working to improve responsible gambling measures.”The releasing of the review led to shares in William Hill gaining 2% and Ladbrokes Coral gaining 0.6% in morning trading, possibly indicating that many insiders held the perception the review would be tougher on bookmakers than it was. StumbleUpon UKGC launches fourth National Lottery licence competition August 28, 2020last_img read more

Polish bookie launches Income Access powered affiliate strategy

first_img Mateusz Juroszek – Non-stop STS will expand amid industry disruptions August 12, 2020 Submit Related Articles New Polish poker table in BetGames section for STS July 15, 2020 StumbleUpon Polish wagering report highlights STS market dominance  August 17, 2020 Share STS has launched an affiliate programme in partnership with Income Access, set to be managed by the Polish bookies in house team, using the Paysafe brand’s platform and affiliate software.‘STSpartner’ will allow campaigns to be targeted down to a city level and according to players’ language, device and browser, among numerous other criteria.In addition, Income Access’ technology will allow a maximisation of online traffic and raised conversion rates via the affiliate marketing channel.Lorenzo Pellegrino, CEO of Income Access and Digital Wallets at Paysafe, said: “With the largest economy in Eastern Europe and enjoying one of the strongest GDP growth rates of any EU country, Poland is fast becoming a major global sports-betting market. “We are therefore excited to partner with STS, the leading Polish bookmaker, and look forward to supporting and maximising the brand’s customer acquisition strategy through our affiliate technology.”Founded in 1997, STS is Poland’s biggest bookmaker and enjoys an almost 50 percent market share on its native, regulated sports betting market.Allowing punters to place wagers on a variety of different leagues spread across in excess of 20 sports, STS also provides betting on esports, and details that it “was the first brand to introduce wagering on competitive video gaming contests to the Polish market.”In addition to its sports betting offering, the firm also holds a number media rights contracts allowing it to broadcast over 2,000 sports events a month through its STS TV channel.Mateusz Juroszek, President of STS, added: “STS is the leading bookmaker in Poland, setting trends for the domestic market. We’re strongly focused on continuously rolling-out pioneering solutions, and our partnership with Income Access, an experienced marketing tech company, is part of this wider strategy. Our goal is to work closely together to achieve synergies across STS-managed online marketing campaigns.” Sharelast_img read more