The West Manggarai Regency administration is planning to temporarily close Komodo Airport and Labuan Bajo Port in East Nusa Tenggara to slow the spread of COVID-19. West Manggarai Deputy Regent Maria Geong said that people would not be able to enter or leave the regency from March 28 to April 5. “This is not a lockdown as airlines can still pick up supplies in West Manggarai regency. So starting Saturday, no people will be coming home via the Labuan Bajo entry point,” Maria told The Jakarta Post by phone on Thursday. “The West Manggarai administration had requested the ministry to temporarily restrict access for passenger vessels. Cargo vessels are still allowed to unload their supplies through the seaport and airport at West Manggarai,” Maria explained, adding that medical workers in the area were in urgent need of protective gear.As the closure has yet to go in effect, those wanting to return to the regency can do so and tourists currently in Labuan Bajo can still leave. (dpk/dfr) Topics : “In an emergency, sick people requiring hospitalization due to COVID-19 outside [of the regency] will be prioritized.”The contagious respiratory illness that has killed thousands globally has confirmed cases in 25 of Indonesia’s 34 provinces.Indonesia confirmed Wednesday 105 new cases, raising the total number of confirmed cases to 790. Of the total, 31 people have recovered and 58 have died. A total of 186 people in the province were under general monitoring for COVID-19 as of Wednesday.The regency administration previously sent a letter to the Transportation Ministry requesting that authorities start closing the airport and seaport as a preventive measure against the pandemic.
Director Marlyn Convocar and Mayor Jerry Treñas. IAN PAUL CORDERO/PN “Akokadamo man sang hinanakit. Kadamo man sang akon away kay DirectorConvocar but I feel it is not very good to change your commander in the middleof the fight. If you do that you will have to wait for the new field commanderto learn everything first antes masugod sya obra,” explained Treñas. ILOILO City – “Very, very, very, very ill-advised.” Bernadas said he is not fully appraised yetwith the issues in Region 6. Also the focal person of DOH’s FieldImplementation and Coordination Team in the Visayas, Bernadas said he isfamiliar with Western Visayas. “I’m not the Secretary of the Department ofHealth. I don’t know why this happened,” said Treñas. “Maymga innovations kami diri sa Central Visayas ngama-apply naton dira,” said Bernadasin an interview over DyFM Bombo Radyo Iloilo yesterday. This was how Mayor Jerry Treñas described thesudden removal of Director Marlyn Convocar of the Department of Health (DOH)Region 6 as overseer of Western Visayas’ response to the coronavirus disease2019 (COVID-19) pandemic. He also said he and Convocar already talkedand the DOH-6 director was thankful. Department Personnel Order No. 23 replacingConvocar was signed by DOH undersecretary Adbullah Dumama Jr. Dumama Jr.explained the decision this way: “It is vital to maintain harmoniouspartnership with local government units/local chief executives and otherstakeholders that play vital roles in this emergency situation.” “Parasa akon, there will be time to fight one another.What is important (for now) is that we work for the good of Iloilo,” Treñassaid. “It is not right to change your fieldcommander in the middle of a fight. I’ll be very frank, I do not like theidea,” said Treñas yesterday. Bernadas stressed the importance ofcooperation between DOH and local chief executives./PN He described the development as unfortunateand unnecessary. “Makadtoko da (next week). Istoryahon ta ang mga mayors kaggobernador,” said Bernadas. “Gustonaton ma-align ang mga trabaho dira.” It came right afterDOH Region 6 came under fire for classifying the people of Guimbal, Iloilo aspersons under monitoring following a case of local COVIOD-19 transmission. Bernadas, on the other hand, played down thisadded assignment. “Twinning arrangements” between regions were “just normal”,he stressed. On Thursday, DOH central office tasked thedirector of DOH Region 7 (Central Visayas), Dr. Jaime Bernadas, to take thelead in Western Visayas’ response to the pandemic. Convocar would just be managing the regular operationsof DOH-6.
The No. 12 University of Wisconsin men’s basketball team (8-1) will make the short trip to Milwaukee Saturday as they take on Marquette (7-2) at the Fiserv Forum.The Badgers have their work cut out for them on the road as the Golden Eagles have yet to lose at home this season, boasting a 6-0 record in the newly built Fiserv Forum.Despite Marquette’s home dominance this year, recent history is actually on the side of the away team in this series, with the road team winning six of the last eight games.Men’s hockey: Badgers take on Michigan State in last series of calendar yearThis weekend, the Wisconsin men’s hockey team will host their last series of the calendar year. The Badgers (6-7-3, 2-3-3 Read…Marquette isn’t currently ranked but they have had some victories against highly rated opponents, most notably an 83–71 victory over Kansas State, who was ranked No. 12 at the time. The Golden Eagles’ two losses also came against quality opposition, having fallen short against Indiana and No. 2 Kansas.On the other hand, Wisconsin will be looking to continue their hottest start since 2014, currently ranked No. 12 in the country with a record of 8-1, their only defeat coming at the hands of No. 4 Virginia in the final of the Battle 4 Atlantis.To keep adding to their win column, the Badgers will have to keep a wary eye on Marquette’s stand out junior guard Markus Howard, who currently leads the Big East Conference in points per game with 22.4 per contest. To add to his elite scoring, Howard is also averaging 4.7 assists and 4.6 rebounds per game this season.A perfectionist’s craft: Wisconsin kickers detail their training regimen, how they deal with outside stigmaIt’s 8 a.m. on a Tuesday morning in the McClain Center, and Wisconsin football spring practice is underway. The defensive Read…Forward Sam Hauser is another name to watch out for on the Golden Eagles, currently averaging 14 points and six rebounds per game.D’Mitrik Trice, a name which has been mentioned plenty this season, will once again be a key cog in the Wisconsin offense. Trice is the leading three-point shooter in the nation, currently shooting 60 percent from beyond the arc. The redshirt sophomore has also set a new career high in points three times this season, with his best mark now the 25 he scored against Oklahoma.Tip-off is set for 4 p.m. You can catch all the action live on Fox, listen on the Badger Radio Network, or follow along with the team’s official Twitter account @BadgerMBB.
Asamoah Gyan did not train on Friday with the group as he underwent a scan on a thigh problem.The Ghana captain suffered the problem during Thursday’s test game with second-tier side, Asokwa Deportivo at the Baba Yara Stadium in Kumasi.The results of the scan would determine Gyan’s subsequent participation with the team ahead of Sunday’s 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Sudan.
JOCKEY QUOTES MIKE SMITH, BOLO, WINNER: “It’s his first race back (in seven months) and it’s his first time wearing a rubber bit. I had a bit of trouble. He’s so strong; it’s like pulling on the barn. If you give him daylight, he’ll just run off with me, which he’s done before.“Carla and her crew are wonderful. He had a breathing problem and they’ve taken care of that. They got him to this race and he just ran dynamite. I’m happy he ran the way he did today.“I thought I had a good shot through the lane. When Graham Motion’s horse came up on the outside of us, it was like Talladega Nights, time to ‘Shake ‘n’ Bake baby!’ He helped me push by What a View.” KEITH BRACKPOOL ON BEHALF OF GOLDEN PEGASUS RACING, INC., CO-OWNERS OF BOLO, WINNER: “He’s something else, this horse. Carla and I were saying, ‘Get third, get third,’ then, “Get second, get second.’ I didn’t think we had won until I saw the replay – amazing. We’ll take a look at the Kilroe (Grade I, mile on turf, March 11) next.” TYLER BAZE, WHAT A VIEW, SECOND: “I can’t beat Smith! What a View ran good, really good. I’m just tired of getting beat by Smith today.“I thought I had it once I fought off Conquest Enforcer, which I thought was the horse to beat. He came head to head with my horse and my horse dug in hard. Especially that last sixteenth of a mile. I thought, ‘Good. We’re home free!’ Then Bolo…it’s frustrating.“If Bolo was closer to us, and my horse saw him coming, we might have won. He would have dug back in. He wouldn’t have let that horse go by. He’s a nice horse to ride.” TRAINER QUOTES NOTES: The winning owners are Golden Pegasus Racing, Inc. and E.I. Mack, LLC.
The outstanding season of Jamaica Scorpions left-arm spinner Nikita Miller continues.The left-armer, the leading wicket-taker in the WICB First-Class Championship this season, increased his tally to 48 victims after claiming seven for 69 against the Trinidad and Tobago Red Force in seventh round action at Sabina Park yesterday.The 21st five-wicket collection of his 78-match first-class career, the haul was also instrumental in limiting Trinidad to 206 in their first innings on day two, 19 runs short of the Scorpions’ 225.Jamaica, batting a second time, closed on 13 without loss with new captain John Campbell not out on eight, and first innings standout Shacaya Thomas on five.”I had to come up trumps in this innings, as we did not put as many (first innings) runs on the board as we should have,” stated Miller after his display.”I didn’t start that well, as I got hit for consecutive boundaries early by Lewis, but I settled down afterwards and got the job. It is now for us to put on a good second-innings total,” he added.Resuming on 196 for six, Jamaica’s tail failed to wag as only wicketkeeper Chadwick Walton, 16, made any impression before he was last man out.Leg-spinner Imran Khan ended with four for 73 and off-spinner, Jon-Russ Jagessar, three for 53.ATTRACTIVE 87Trinidad opener Evin Lewis led the way for his team with an attractive 87, which included three sixes and five fours.The 33-year-old Miller, who last represented the West Indies at the one-day level in 2011, expressed satisfaction with his effort so far this season.”I know that I am someone that the team depends on to do a dual job of keeping things tight and getting wickets,” he outlined. “I have been doing both this season and I am happy.”IN ST THOMAS, US VIRGIN ISLANDS: Windward Islands Volcanoes, replying to Leeward Islands Hurricanes’ 327 all out, were 21 without loss at the close on the second day of their seventh round match.AT KENSINGTON OVAL: BRIDGETOWN: Barbados Pride, leading Guyana Jaguars by 84 runs on first innings, were 71 for one in their second innings at the close of the second day.Scores: Pride 274 and 71 for one; Jaguars 190.SCOREBOARDSCORPIONS 1st Innings(overnight 197 for six)+C. Walton c Lewis b Khan 16N. Miller lbw b Richards 2D. Jacobs c Cariah b Khan 4S. Cottrell c Ottley b Emrit 7M. Mindley not out 0Extras (lb3, w2) 5Total (all out, 101.3 overs) 225Fall of wickets: 1-11, 2-111, 3-127, 4-129, 5-195, 6-196, 7-207, 8-212, 9-225, 10-225.Bowling: Emrit 17.3-5-39-1, Richards 20-7-31-2, Khan 36-11-73-4, Jagessar 21-3-53-3, Ottley 4-0-17-0, Mohammed 3-0-9-0.RED FORCE 1st InningsE. Lewis c Thomas b Jacobs 87J. Solozano c wkp Walton b Cottrell 16K. Hope b Thomas 0Y. Cariah c McCarthy b Miller 28*J. Mohammed c wkp Walton b Miller 8Y. Ottley c and b Miller 29+S. Katwaroo lbw b Miller 0R. Emrit c McCarthy b MillerImran Khan not out 22M. Richards lbw b Miller 6J. Jagessar c McCarthy b Miller 0Extras (b3, lb2, w1, nb3) 9Total (all out, 70 overs) 206Fall of wickets: 1-27, 2-28, 3-117, 4-131, 5-154, 6-155, 7-159, 8-192, 9-206, 10-206.Bowling: Cottrell 7-1-18-1, Mindley 9-0-28-0, Thomas 5-0-27-1 (w2, nb1), Miller 26-3-69-7, Campbell 8-1-27-0, Jacobs 15-5-32-1.
That was after PSG coach Unai Emery claimed earlier that “no decision” had been taken on whether Neymar would require surgery and that there remained a “small chance” of getting the world’s most expensive player back in time to face Real next Tuesday, March 6.Tests confirmed that Neymar suffered a hairline fracture of the fifth metatarsal in his right foot as well as a twisted ankle late in PSG’s 3-0 win over Marseille in Ligue 1 on Sunday.He appeared to be in tears as he was stretchered off the field at the Parc des Princes, immediately raising fears that the 26-year-old could miss the Champions League last 16, second leg against Madrid.PSG lost 3-1 in the first leg in Spain two weeks ago and are in danger of being knocked out of the competition in the last 16 for the second season running.Brazilian newspaper Globo Esporte had claimed Neymar would undergo surgery, and that the former Barcelona player would be sidelined until May.If his father’s estimate is correct, Neymar would not return before the semi-final stage of the Champions League in late April.On the possibility of rushing Neymar back for the Real second leg, experts say that PSG would be taking a huge risk, possibly even jeopardising Neymar’s participation at the World Cup in Russia in June and July.“It would be very risky as it’s a fragile bone in the foot which is difficult to protect,” Jean-Marcel Ferret, a former doctor with the French national team, told AFP.“(Playing against Real) could compromise the rest of his season.”In the meantime, PSG are preparing to do without Neymar for Wednesday’s French Cup quarter-final at home to Marseille, the second meeting of the clubs in four days.Argentine star Angel di Maria should replace the Brazilian at the Parc des Princes, with PSG hoping to stay on course to win the French Cup for the fourth season running.Neymar has scored 28 goals in 30 appearances in all competitions for PSG since his 222 million-euro ($264 million) move from Barcelona last August.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000PSG played the last 10 minutes a man down as they had made all their permitted changes before Neymar went offPARIS, France, Feb 28 – Paris Saint-Germain’s hopes of getting Neymar back for their crunch Champions League clash against Real Madrid next week look to be over after the Brazilian’s father claimed the player would be out for “at least six weeks”.Speaking to ESPN in Brazil on Tuesday, Neymar Senior said: “PSG know that they will not be able to count on Neymar for the upcoming matches: his treatment will last six to eight weeks, whether there is an operation or not.”
Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Uruguay beat Argentina 5-4 on penalties to book Copa America semi-final berth with Peru after Carlos Tevez’s spot kick was saved by goalkeeper Fernando Muslera in the decider on Saturday.The game ended 1-1 after regulation time and there was no addition to that score line in extra time. The final tally in the shootout was 5-4 to Uruguay.Diego Perez gave Uruguay a surprise 1-0 lead in the sixth minute, but Gonzalo Higuain equalised in the 18th.Argentina had a man advantage from the 39th minute when Perez received his second yellow. But Muslera and Uruguay’s rugged defence stopped Argentina, which had a dozen chances in regulation and extra time. The teams returned to even strength when Argentina captain Javier Mascherano was sent off in the 87th.Uruguay will face Peru in the semi-finals on Tuesday. Peru shocked Colombia 2-0. Brazil face Paraguay and Chile play Venezuela in the remaining quarterfinals.When Uruguay went down a man, it became more defence- minded and Argentina struggled to break down its opponent. When the Gauchos did manage to put some play together, Muslera came up with a dozen key saves.Messi and Gonzalo Higuain almost won it several times in the second half. Messi forced Muslera into a diving save in the 63rd minute. In the 78th, Higuain took a pass from Messi in the area, and turned and fired with Muslera sprawling to stop his shot.In the final minute of regulation time, Messi’s free kick from 30 meters was headed for the goal until Muslera kicked out his left leg for a miraculous save. Uruguay striker Diego Forlan almost snatched the game with the last shot of regulation time. In extra time, Messi, Pastore and Higuain all had chances further chances to net the winner. The best came in the 111th when Higuain shot into the outside of the netting from close range.advertisementThe shootout was level at 2-2 when Tevez went for power rather than placement, and Muslera guessed right, diving to his right to block the shot. All the other spotkicks were converted. It’s a bitter loss for Argentina, which was aiming to win its first major trophy in 18 years; and with Lionel Messi, the world’s best player.Messi showed flashes, but was unable to deliver for his home nation where he has been often criticised for not performing as well as he does at Barcelona. Argentina and Uruguay have each won this event 14 times, and Brazil has won eight. But Brazil has won four of the past five.”We’ve managed to reach our first objective, which was to match our results in the last Copa America,” Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez said. Argentina coach Sergio Batista is now likely to come under enormous pressure.Batista replaced Diego Maradona following the World Cup, and immediately after the match was asked if he planned to resign.”I’m not thinking about that,” he said. “It has never crossed by mind. I have to continue on the job. My job started five or six months ago, and I have to continue with my plans. The important thing is the (2014) World Cup.” ” I can’t be happy,” he added. ” One does not like to be eliminated. But I am content with my players.” Batista denied that a quarterfinal exit could be considered a failure.”It is not a failure because we did all we could to win, and it didn’t happen,” Batista said. “Failure is a strong word. We worked to win but couldn’t do it.” Batista acknowledged his team’s play fell off in the second half.And that included Messi, who has now failed to score in his past 16 official games – not counting friendlies – for the national team.- With inputs from Agencies