…spends time with children from Shaheed’s OrphanageBy Romario SamarooMembers of the Guyana Amazon Warriors team continued to spread joy across Guyana when they teamed up with Busta drinks to spend quality time with the children of the Shaheed’s Boys and Girls Orphanage on Monday.The initiative was hosted at the Providence Stadium where the children got the chance to interact with members of the home team.Secretary to the Orphanage Board, Hakeen Khan, took the time to thank the organisers for the efforts they made to put smiles on the faces of these children.“We are very happy for something like this, because we try as much as we can to get these children in a society where they can feel as normal as any other child out there.” Khan said. “We are very grateful to the Guyana Beverage Company and the Amazon Warriors for giving these children this opportunity and to know that there are people out there who value these children.”Members of the Guyana Amazon Warriors with the children at the National Stadium on MondayThe children all got to take photographs and converse with the likes of Chris Lynn, Veerasammy Permaul, Steven Jacobs, Rayyad Emrit and Muhammad Ali Khan.Some of the players also utilised their time with the children to lift their spirits after coming so close to victory against Trinbago Knight Riders on Sunday.Speaking to Guyana Times, star batsman Chris Lynn was touched by the opportunity for him and his team to actually spend time with the children who are as passionate about cricket as much as anyone.The Shaheed’s Orphanage houses both boys and girls and is one of the oldest orphanages in the country, having been in existence for over 50 years.Every year since the inception of the Hero Caribbean Premier League T20 tournament in 2013, Busta Soft Drinks has brought the flavour and colour to the crowds, harnessing and amplifying the full energetic vibrancy of the Caribbean and its people.Busta has even more going on in between games, giving our fans the opportunity to interact with their favourite players in venues across the Caribbean by taking part in our Busta Reach activities. Additionally, on the radio and on Facebook, fans can win match tickets courtesy of Busta. You can also enter to win the Busta Grand Prize of two tickets to the Hero CPL T20 Finals, by showing your skills with the bat in “The Busta Keep-Up the Ball Challenge” on the Busta Soft Drinks Facebook Page.Last week, the team spent time with the students of the Ptolemy Reid Rehabilitation Centre. Children, parents and teachers all enjoyed an interactive session with the players as part of the collaboration with Caribbean Premier League sponsor Digicel (Guyana), which organised the event.
The Liberia Football Association has lined up another competitive tournament for eighteen teams for the President’s Cup.A release issued by Secretary General B. Alphonso Armah announced the teams are follows: BYC F.C, FC Fassell, LISCR F.C, Watanga F.C, Nimba United FC, Aries F.C, Keitrace F/C, Invincible Eleven, Jubilee F.C and NPA Anchors.The rest are Mighty Barrolle, Gardnersville F.C, Holders F C, BYC II, JOY F.C, ELWA United, SESAY F.C and Mighty Blue Angels.The LFA said representatives of the above clubs are invited to the draw on Wednesday, May 13 at 12noon in the boardroom of the Liberia Football Association.Armah said USD500 each will be given to all the teams as participating fee after the draw. He said the clubs will also be informed of the prize money and other matters relating to the tournament.Armah commended the teams that participated in the just-ended Coca-Cola Cup which BYC F.C became the winner.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
…accused maintains innocenceThe High Court murder trial of Bryan “Big Foot” Leitch is likely to conclude this afternoon following Prosecutors Mandell Moore and Lisa Cave closing the State’s case on Monday.Dead: Joseph JagdeoJustice Sandhill Kisson will this morning sum up the evidence presented during the course of the trial. The jury will then deliberate to determine the accused’s innocence or guilt. The 12-member panel will consider that the accused man has maintained that he did not murder Joseph Jagdeo, the South Central hotelier whose body was found bound and gagged at his guesthouse on November 14, 2013 in Room 10.In a brief unsworn statement from the prisoner’s dock, “Big Foot” affirmed his contention that he was innocent of the crime. “I don’t know anything about any murder; I did not kill anybody,” he declared.This statement, which could not be cross-examined, contrasted with what Police contended, using the accused’s Caution Statement (CS) – in which Leitch allegedly said he was “sorry” for his actions – as corroboration. During one of last week’s court sessions, Police Sergeant Keith Conway, who assisted with the murder investigation, had told the jury that he had taken the accused from the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) to the Brickdam Police Station on November 30, 2013 where he put the murder allegation to him.Conway claimed that Leitch initially responded: “I don’t know anything about any murder” which was in keeping with his denial. However, the next day, on December 1, retired Police Sergeant Phillip Bowman took the CS in Conway’s presence which differed. According to the document which Conway read out in court, Leitch had stated that on the morning in question, Jagdeo came to his room and told him to leave which angered him.‘“I was vexed and I tell he and I tie he hand and put a cloth around he mouth and tie it, I push he under the bed and put the room key on the bed. I then go to the office and took out he cell phone; I sorry for what happen, I didn’t go to kill he’,” the excerpt from the CS had stated.The jury will also consider the testimony of Kiana Garnett, who was staying at Pike Street, Kitty in November 2013. Garnett, who was a friend of Leitch, told the court on Monday that she was present on November 13, 2013 when Leitch asked her and Shantel DeJonge, another friend, if they wanted to buy a cellphone. The witness stated that Leitch gave the phone to DeJonge. She noted that the phone was black in colour.“He said don’t answer if anyone called,” she recalled.Leitch is represented by Attorneys-at-Law Hewley Griffith and Lawrence Harris.
The Fort St. John Soccer Club held their season end indoor tournament over the weekend. Winners were crowned in five different age classes at the event.Below are the top three finalists in each grouping:Under 16/18- Advertisement -1. Urban Systems Yellow Raiders2. Urban Systems Silver Strikers3. North Peace Savings and Credit Union Purple BruisersAdvertisement Under 14 girls1. Urban Systems Teal Sting2. Urban Systems Pink Valkyries3. North Peace Savings and Credit Union Yellow Killa BeezUnder 12 BoysAdvertisement Under 14 boys1. Urban Systems Yellow Spartans2. Urban Systems Silver Ninjas3. Urban Systems Royal Blue WarriorsAdvertisement 2. North Peace Savings and Credit Union Orange Crush3. North Peace Savings and Credit Union Silver Sting 1. North Peace Savings and Credit Union Orange Patriots2. North Peace Savings and Credit Union Teal Samurai3. North Peace Savings and Credit Union Light Blue SpartansUnder 12 girls1. North Peace Savings and Credit Union Red ValkyriesAdvertisement
Nicola McGeady joins the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast to round up the latest sporting odds.Liverpool left it late to beat Bolton on Wednesday night and move into the fifth round of the FA Cup and Coral’s PR manager revealed they are third favourites, behind Arsenal and Manchester United, to win the competition.She also looked ahead to Liverpool’s Premier League clash with Merseyside rivals Everton this weekend and the north London derby between Tottenham and Arsenal.And she discussed Harry Redknapp’s future after he quit as QPR boss, claiming Aston Villa and Newcastle could be potential destinations for the 67-year-old.Coral is the official betting partner of the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast
1 Newcastle United target Jeremy Toulalan in action for Monaco Inter Milan have offered Newcastle United target Jeremy Toulalan a two-year contract, according to reports in Italy.The Frenchman’s current deal with Monaco expires at the end of the season and he is still yet to pen an extension with the club.That means the 31-year-old is available on a free in the summer, a situation which has alerted club across Europe.Newcastle have been linked with a move for the defensive midfielder, but they now face competition for his services.According to Gazzetta dello Sport, Inter are hoping to tempt Toulalan into a move to Italy and have offered him a two-year deal.New Inter boss Roberto Mancini is said to be a fan of the former Lyon man and has urged the club to push through a deal before other parties act.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Bruce Pettit, who is helping organize the events, said he was disappointed Holsinger canceled. “He needs to see our witnessing perhaps as much as anyone,” said Pettit. “We do these vigils so we can turn people’s minds around, turn people’s hearts around.” Holsinger, a Kentucky cardiologist, was nominated for surgeon general by President George W. Bush in May. He has faced criticism for voting to expel a lesbian pastor from the United Methodist Church and writing in 1991 that gay sex is unnatural and unhealthy. At Senate confirmation hearings in July, Holsinger distanced himself from the 1991 paper, saying that was based on data available at the time and asserting he has “a deep, deep appreciation for the essential humanity of everyone, regardless of their personal circumstances or their sexual orientation.” The Senate has not yet taken a vote on the appointment. SAN FRANCISCO – Surgeon General nominee James Holsinger, who has been criticized by gay rights groups, is bowing out of a meeting of the United Methodist top court whose agenda includes dealing with the issue of a transgender pastor. Holsinger, president of the United Methodist Judicial Council, said he will not participate when the council meets in San Francisco this week because of concerns his nomination could become a distraction. “While I remain dedicated to fulfilling the role to which I was elected, I believe this is a time in which my service to the Council can best be demonstrated by my absence,” Holsinger said in a statement. The council’s docket contains several issues of interest to the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community and some church members are holding a vigil and other events to highlight those issues. The transgender case before the council involves the Rev. Ann Gordon, who spent five years as minister at St. John’s United Methodist Church in Baltimore before undergoing surgery and hormone therapy and becoming the Rev. Drew Phoenix. Phoenix was reappointed this spring by Bishop John Schol of the Methodists’ Baltimore-Washington Annual Conference, who noted that the denomination’s Book of Discipline said nothing about transgender clergy. The United Methodist Church bars appointing self-avowed practicing gay clergy and does not support gay unions. The council is looking at whether the Board of Ordain Ministry should conduct a review if a pastor changes gender, and whether the denomination allows transgender people to be appointed as Methodist ministers. The meeting ends Saturday and the decision is expected to be released soon after. Other issues on the docket include benefits for domestic partners of lay employees and who is included in the definition of “affirming all families.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Two pupils from Ms McMenamin’s sixth class at Scoil Naomh Fiachra in Illistrin were honoured at the Catholic Primary Schools Management Association awards in Dublin due to their incredible artistic talent.Tashnuva Rafiq and Aishling Amponsah received certificates and a cash prize at an awards ceremony in the Raddison at Dublin Airport this week from the Minister of Education, Richard Bruton.The theme for the art competition this year was ‘celebrating our local primary school.’ Tashnuva Rafiq with her mum and dad are joined by Father John Joe Duffy at the award ceremony in DublinAishling Amponsah recieving her Award for Excellence from the Minister of Education Richard Bruton at the award ceremony in DublinWell done girls!Illistrin students honoured at national art competition was last modified: March 5th, 2017 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Art competitionCatholic Primary Schools Management AssociationIllistrin
Donegal captain Eilish Ward. Ladies players who want to make the step up to senior county football can join an Open evening on MondayDONEGAL LGFA NEWS: ‘For the Attention of Ladies Club Players in Donegal’.Davy McLaughlin, the Donegal ladies Senior manager is holding an “Open” Training session on Monday night 25th August in the Centre of Excellence in Convoy beginning at 6.30 sharp.The Moville man is on the lookout for new players to join the senior ladies panel. This is open to any player who feels they may have what it takes to step up to senior inter county level.Any player who feels she might make the jump from club player to county player should attend!Players interested can contact Davy directly on 0861521414.“This is an ideal opportunity to get your talents as footballers on show, so please don’t miss it, if you think you are up for it,” said Davy. REMEMBER MONDAY 25th AUGUST @6.30SHARPCENTRE OF EXCELLENCE,CONVOY!MESSAGE-PHONE-OR TURN UP ON THE NIGHT! DONEGAL LGFA NEWS: OPEN TRAINING SESSION FOR NEW SENIOR LADIES PLAYERS was last modified: August 23rd, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:convoydonegalLGFAOpen nightsenior team
His predictions have given Donegal a rub of the green!And now former Donegal star Martin McHugh has done it again!This time the RTE pundit and Daily Star columnist has opted for Cork to win Sunday’s crunch All Ireland semi-final. Last time out the Kilcar man, and father of current Donegal star Mark McHugh, sided with Kerry to beat Jim McGuinness’ side in the quarter final.We all know what happened there but McHugh has still decided to go with Donegal’s opponents yet again.Nobody is quite sure if this is a rouse by McHugh to give the Rebels a false sense of superiority!McHugh says “I watched eight teams play in the All Ireland quarter finals on the August bank Holiday weekend and I left Croke Park on the Sunday evening thinking that Cork wouldn’t be stopped.” He adds that Donegal must produce their best-ever performance ever to give themselves a fighting chance.Sunday will tell a tell! GAA STAR MCHUGH GOES FOR CORK (SO THAT’S A DONEGAL VICTORY THEN!) was last modified: August 23rd, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CorkdonegalMartin McHughThe Star