I review the hierarchy of approaches to complex systems, focusing particularly on stochastic equations. I discuss how the main models advocated by the late Benoit Mandelbrot fit into this classification, and how they continue to contribute to cross-disciplinary approaches to the increasingly important problems of correlated extreme events and unresolved scales. The ideas have broad importance, with applications ranging across science areas as diverse as the heavy tailed distributions of intense rainfall in hydrology, after which Mandelbrot named the “Noah effect”; the problem of correlated runs of dry summers in climate, after which the “Joseph effect” was named; and the intermittent, bursty, volatility seen in finance and fluid turbulence.
March 8, 2018 /Sports News – National Yankees slugger Aaron Judge says he’s unlikely to take part in another Home Run Derby FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPhoto by Scott Clarke / ESPN Images(NEW YORK) — After winning the Home Run Derby at least year’s MLB All Star Weekend, New York Yankees slugger Aaron Judge says he doesn’t think he’ll compete in the event again.“One and done, Home Run Derby champion,” Judge said to reporters on Thursday. “It was a cool experience. I enjoyed it all, but I don’t think I really need to go out there and do it again.”Judge burst into the spotlight last year, winning the American League Rookie of the Year award and leading the AL in home runs. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman reportedly shrugged off Judge’s comments, telling reporters “my job is to get as many Home Run Derby candidates as I can find. How it plays out after that…”Judge slumped somewhat after the Home Run Derby, hitting .185 in August with just three home runs. He eventually re-discovered his swing, hitting .311 with 15 home runs over the season’s final five weeks. But Judge says the fear of a slump isn’t what prompted his decision. “That’s the least of my concerns,” he said. “I know everyone always talks about [how] the Derby will do that, but it didn’t have that effect on me.”Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved. Written by Beau Lund
October 23, 2018 /Sports News – Local Worthington and Haws named captains for 2018-19 Written by Tags: Basketball/BYU Cougars/Luke Worthington/TJ Haws FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPROVO, Utah – BYU men’s basketball coach Dave Rose announced today that Luke Worthington and TJ Haws have been named team captains for the 2018-19 season. Worthington and Haws were selected by a vote by their teammates.Worthington, a senior forward from Mequon, Wisconsin, was a team captain on last season’s team that won 24 games and received an at-large bid to the NIT. He started 29 games and averaged 4.3 points and 2.8 rebounds. His leadership on and off the court and classroom success were recognized as he was named WCC All-Academic Honorable Mention, received Bronze Honors on the WCC Commissioner’s Honor Roll and earned a spot on the NABC Honors Court.Haws, a junior guard from Alpine, Utah, has started every game the past two seasons. In 2017-18, Haws averaged 11.7 points and a team-best 4.2 assists. He was also second on the team with 50 3-point field goals and 43 steals. Haws scored a season-best 26 points against San Francisco and set a new career-high with eight assists vs. UT Arlington. He received All-WCC Honorable Mention and was named to the WCC All-Academic Team. As a freshman, Haws was named to the All-WCC First Team.BYU opens exhibition play Wednesday night vs. Saint Martin’s, an NCAA Division II institution in Lacey, Washington. The game will be televised live on BYUtv and broadcast on the BYU Sports Network on BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143, BYUcougars.com and KSL Newsradio 102.7 FM/1160 AM. Robert Lovell
FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailKarwai Tang/Getty Images(LONDON) — For the second year in a row, royal sisters-in-law Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, and Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, stepped out together for the Ladies’ Singles Final at Wimbledon.And for the second year in a row, the pair watched Meghan’s close friend Serena Williams compete in the final, vying for her 24th Grand Slam title.Duchesses Kate and Meghan watched from the royal box Saturday as Williams took on seventh-seed Simona Halep.“She couldn’t be a better friend to me,” Williams said of Meghan in a press conference Wednesday following her semifinal win. “Low moments, high moments, she’s always there and that’s all I want to be to her.”Saturday also marked the second Wimbledon appearance this year for both Kate and Meghan.The Duchess of Sussex made a surprise appearance at Wimbledon last week to watch Williams win her second round match. That visit drew some controversy over allegations of extra tight security around the duchess, who sat with friends in the members’ section.Kate, patron of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, also visited Wimbledon last week, watching a British player compete and visiting the practice courts and warm-up area.Saturday’s appearance at Wimbledon is the second joint outing this week for Kate and Meghan.The pair stepped out, with their kids in tow, on Wednesday to watch their husbands, Prince William and Prince Harry, play a charity polo match.Meghan was a newlywed last year when she sat courtside with Kate for the Ladies’ Singles Final, in which Williams lost to Angelique Kerber. Williams and her husband, Alexis Ohanian, were guests at Harry and Meghan’s May 2018 wedding in Windsor.Kate is a longtime tennis fan and a tennis player. She told guests at Wimbledon last week that eight-time Wimbledon winner Roger Federer, also a semifinalist in this year’s tournament, is the favorite player of her 5-year-old son Prince George.She also said the superstar has even played tennis with George, which Federer said took place at Kate’s parents’ home in Bucklebury.Kate and Prince William plan to attend the Men’s Singles Final Sunday at Wimbledon, according to Kensington Palace.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved. Written by Beau Lund July 13, 2019 /Sports News – National Duchesses Kate, Meghan visit Wimbledon together to watch Serena Williams in final
Brad James Tags: UVU Basketball/Weber State basketball December 2, 2019 /Sports News – Local Weber State Men’s Basketball Visits Utah Valley Wednesday Written by FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailOREM, Utah-Wednesday, Utah Valley (4-5) hosts Weber State (1-5) in an in-state non-conference tilt at the UCCU Center.The Wolverines are coming off of a 92-61 rout at the hands of Colorado State Monday.Under new head coach Mark Madsen (4-5, .444), the Wolverines are playing at home for the first time since November 21.Presently, the Wolverines score 70.3 points per game, tying them for 223rd nationally in scoring offense with Fresno State.Senior guard TJ Washington (15.4 points, 5.3 rebounds per game) is UVU’s leading scorer. Junior guard Isaiah White (14 points, a team-best 10 rebounds per game), redshirt junior guard Brandon Averette (12.3 points per game) and redshirt junior guard/forward Casdon Jardine (11.7 points, 5.1 rebounds per game) all score in double figures on average for the Wolverines.UVU surrenders 69.8 points per game as they are tied for 199th in scoring defense nationally with UMASS-Lowell.Junior guard Jamison Overton and Turkish national, Cavit Ege Havsa are tied for the team lead with 8 steals apiece. Ege Havsa also has a team-best 27 assists for the Wolverines.The Wolverines rank second nationally with 54 total blocked shots. Senior forward Emmanuel Olojakpoke has a team-best 26 blocked shots, tying him for seventh nationally with James Banks III of Georgia Tech and USC’s Onyeka Okongwu.Olojakpoke also is tied for 12th nationally with Okongwu in blocked shots per game (2.89).Under head coach Randy Rahe (267-158, .628) in his 14th season at Weber State, the Wildcats have struggled this season and are seeking their first win against a fellow Division I opponent.Weber State currently averages 69 points per game, tying them for 247th nationally with Southeast Missouri State.Senior guard Jerrick Harding, the Big Sky Conference’s Preseason Player of the year leads the Wildcats (17 points, 3.4 rebounds per game).Fellow senior guard, former Wasatch Academy star Cody John (12.5 points, 3.7 rebounds per game) is the only other Wildcat to average in double figures on the season. John also has a team-best six steals for Weber State.Junior guard Kham Davis (a team-best 4.3 rebounds per game) has also contributed to the Wildcats’ cause after transferring from the University of Pittsburgh of the Atlantic Coast Conference.Freshman guard Judah Jordan has a team-best 13 assists for the Wildcats and junior forward, Czech national Michal Kozak, has a team-best six blocks for Weber State.The Wildcats give up 71.7 points per game, tying them for 248th nationally in scoring defense with Northwestern State and Seattle U.The series is tied 6-6 all-time but the Wolverines are 5-0 all-time at home against Weber State.
Beau Lund Written by FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailiStockBy ABC News(NEW YORK) — Here are the scores from Thursday’s sports events:MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALLINTERLEAGUESt. Louis, Detroit (Postponed)Pittsburgh 6, Minnesota 5Philadelphia 5, NY Yankees 4Cleveland 13, Cincinnati 0NY Yankees, Tampa Bay (Postponed)Arizona 5, Houston 4Kansas City 13, Chi Cubs 2Atlanta 4, Toronto 3Miami 8, Baltimore 7Milwaukee 8, Chi White Sox 3AMERICAN LEAGUEOakland 6, Texas 4LA Angels 6, Seattle 1NATIONAL LEAGUEColorado 6, San Francisco 4NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATIONSacramento 140, New Orleans 125Milwaukee 130, Miami 116Phoenix 114, Indiana 99LA Clippers 126, Dallas 111Portland 125, Denver 115Houston Rockets 113, LA Lakers 97NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUEVancouver 3, Minnesota 0Philadelphia 3, Washington 1Las Vegas 6, St. Louis 4Columbus 4, Toronto 3Calgary 4, Winnipeg 0Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved. August 7, 2020 /Sports News – National Scoreboard roundup — 8/6/20
Written by Beau Lund FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailiStockBy ABC News(NEW YORK) — Here are the scores from Thursday’s sports events:NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATIONToronto 110, Milwaukee 96Miami 118, Sacramento 110Brooklyn 109, LA Lakers 98NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUEWashington 3, Buffalo 1Columbus 3, Nashville 0Toronto 7, Ottawa 3Pittsburgh 4, NY Islanders 1NY Rangers 3, Philadelphia 2 (SO)St. Louis 3, San Jose 2 (OT)Los Angeles 3, Arizona 2New Jersey 3, Boston 2Minnesota 3, Anaheim 1Tampa Bay at Dallas (Postponed)TOP-25 COLLEGE BASKETBALLGonzaga 87, Saint Mary’s (Cal) 65Michigan 71, Rutgers 64Ohio St. 92, Penn St. 82Wichita St. 68, Houston 63Iowa 77, Wisconsin 62San Diego St., 67 Fresno St. 53West Virginia at Baylor (Postponed)Alabama at Texas A&M (Postponed)Texas at Oklahoma (Postponed)Texas at Iowa St. (Postponed)Texas Tech at TCU (Postponed)Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved. February 19, 2021 /Sports News – National Scoreboard roundup — 2/18/21
Image: Qatar Petroleum and Shell sign agreement to establish global LNG bunkering venture. Photo: courtesy of Qatar Petroleum. Qatar Petroleum and British-Dutch oil and gas company Shell have entered into an agreement to establish a liquified natural gas (LNG) bunkering venture.The creation of a joint venture company, which will be owned equally by both parties, is subject to customary regulatory approvals. The new company will provide global LNG bunkering services.Qatari Minister of State for Energy Affairs and the president and CEO of Qatar Petroleum said: “We are pleased to establish this new venture with Shell, our long-term partner, and industry pioneer, by combining our joint efforts and shared expertise to develop this important initiative.“We see LNG bunkering as a promising solution for the shipping industry in light of a continuously evolving regulatory environment, and as an important opportunity to enhance LNG’s position as a clean energy source, particularly in maritime transportation.”The agreement to form the joint venture has been signed by Qatar Petroleum’s Wave LNG Solutions and Shell Gas & Power Developments.Established by Qatar Petroleum, Wave LNG Solutions focuses on market development and investment in LNG as a transportation fuel, especially for the marine transportation sector.Business activities of the joint venture companyThe principal business activities of the new company will include the procurement of LNG, setting up LNG bunkering infrastructure (storage and bunker vessels) at various strategic locations around the world, and facilitating the sale of LNG as a marine fuel to end customers around the world.Royal Dutch Shell CEO Ben van Beurden said: “The shipping industry is starting to make the very necessary strides to reduce emissions from vessels. LNG is already playing an important role as the cleanest, and an affordable, alternative to traditional marine fuels available today.“That is why we look forward to building on our strong long-term partnership with QP, expanding the LNG marine fuel network and creating a safe supply chain.”Recently, Qatar Petroleum issued the ‘Invitation to Tender’ for the engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) works at Ras Laffan Industrial City, an industrial hub located 80km north of Doha, Qatar.The tender was issued for the construction of additional liquid products storage and loading facilities and Mono-Ethylene Glycol (MEG) storage and distribution facilities, which will be part of the North Field Expansion (NFE) project. Under the agreement, the joint venture between the two companies will facilitate the sale of LNG as a marine fuel to end customers around the world
First oil from the Sangomar field is expected to be drawn in 2023. (Credit: Pixabay/wasi1370) An International Chamber of Commerce tribunal has ruled in favour of Woodside in an arbitration launched against it by FAR over a transaction related to the Sangomar project in Senegal.The International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce, based on the hearings presented in July 2019, has ruled that FAR did not have a pre-emption right over a transaction made in 2016 by Woodside to enter the Rufisque Offshore, Sangomar Offshore and Sangomar Deep Offshore (RSSD) joint venture.The joint venture has been engaged in developing the Sangomar field (formerly SNE field) in Senegalese waters with an investment of more than $5bn in what is set to become the first offshore oil development in the West African country.Woodside’s entry into the Sangomar projectWoodside forayed into the Sangomar project through a deal worth $440m in July 2016 to acquire ConocoPhillips’ interests in Senegal.Through the deal, the company acquired ConocoPhillips’ 35% working interest in a production sharing contract with the Senegalese government which covers the Rufisque Offshore, Sangomar Offshore, and Sangomar Deep Offshore blocks. The deal was closed in October 2016.Woodside, which is currently the operator of the joint venture, said that the arbitral tribunal had also rejected the other claims for FAR. The tribunal has asked the parties to give their views on the next procedural steps arising from its decision within a time period of 45 days.The company stated: “Woodside is committed to working with the RSSD joint venture to progress the Sangomar Field Development, which achieved final investment decision in January 2020.”FAR said that it is analysing the ruling of the tribunal and will evaluate its position. The Australian oil and gas company holds a stake of 15% in the RSSD joint venture with the other partners being Cairn Energy (40%) and Petrosen (10%).The phase 1 development of the Sangomar project will see the RSSD joint venture target an estimated 231 mmbbls (gross) in 2P recoverable oil reserves from the offshore Senegalese field. First oil from the Sangomar field is expected to be drawn in 2023. FAR had challenged the legality of Woodside’s 2016 deal with ConocoPhillips pertaining to the Sangomar project, offshore Senegal
A renowned and award-winning Suffolk estate agency that has been in business since 1998 led by a director with over 29 years’ experience in the industry is to shut up shop.Clive Robinson has closed his Bury-St Edmunds based business Robinson Portfolio which is in its third location since being incorporated.The 52-year-old says his decision was driven by a desire to diversify into other areas of property as a consultant, but also because of the volatility in the market ‘since the 1980s’.Robinson (pictured, left) says the market has picked up since the recession prompted by the 2008 banking crisis, but that: “The best thing for everybody is a stable market,” he told local media.“If you get price spikes and price dips it’s not good – everybody likes to know where they are. That’s how it used to be in the 40s, 50s and 60s. It was the boom in the 80s that set that trend off.”Robinson says his decades of experience in the local property market won’t be lost and that he is to set up a business off the high street offering a service he believes currently doesn’t exist; offering advice on improving, extending, planning and preparing properties for sale.He will also be advising vendors on instructing the best estate agents and guiding them through the sale process.Robinson Portfolio’s two members of staff who between them have been with the company for over 20 years, are hoping to find roles at another independent estate agency in the town. Robinson Portfolio Bury St Edmunds Suffolk April 24, 2019Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Hong Kong remains most expensive city to rent with London in 4th place30th April 2021 Home » News » Agencies & People » Part of a trend? 21-year-old Suffolk independent estate agency shuts up shop previous nextAgencies & PeoplePart of a trend? 21-year-old Suffolk independent estate agency shuts up shopFounding director Clive Robinson says company could have continued but he wants to diversity away from the high street into home improvement and selling consultancy.Nigel Lewis24th April 201901,319 Views