Manchester City F.C. beat Leicester City on penalties to reach League Cup semis

first_imgManchester City reached the semi-finals of the League Cup on Thursday after beating Leicester 4-3 on penalties after the match had ended in a draw.City’s reserve goalkeeper Claudio Bravo starred on the night as Pep Guardiola’s side maintained its 21-match unbeaten run in the domestic competitions.Bravo saved Riyad Mahrez’s spot kick for the decisive moment following a 1-1 draw after regulation and extra time.Bernado Silva’s first-half goal looked to have given the visitors the win, but Vardy scored a stoppage-time penalty to take it beyond 90 minutes.City can still take a clean sweep of trophies this term with Guardiola’s side 11 points clear at the top of the Premier League and in the knockout stages of the Champions League.But Guardiola downplayed the chance of a quadruple.”That is not going to happen. Of course not,” he said.”Come on, that isn’t real. What we’re living isn’t real. The situation of winning 16 or 17 games in a row in the league and qualifying for the Champions League before we finished the group stage, and now we’re here playing with a lot of young players. That is not normal.”In football you drop points and you lose competitions. I am not thinking about how many titles, I am thinking about the next game.”Kelechi Iheanacho, who moved from City to Leicester for 25 million pounds in the summer, struggled to make an impact before he helped his old club to a 26th-minute opener.Proud of all the lads tonight, particularly all the young lads and of course @C1audioBravo !!! �???�?��advertisementGreat to be in the @Carabao_Cup semi finals!! Thanks to the fans for the amazing support!! �??��?���??��?���??��?��#ComeOnCity Yaya Touré (@YayaToure) December 19, 2017Iheanacho allowed Yaya Toure to take the ball, Gundogan strode forward to find Silva and the winger prodded the ball under the onrushing Ben Hamer.Leicester rattled City and eventually equalized in the seventh of eight minutes of stoppage time when Kyle Walker tangled with Demarai Gray in the area and Vardy buried the penalty.Both sides had chances in extra time before the shootout, where Christian Fuchs, Harry Maguire and Vicente Iborra scored for Leicester while Ilkay Gundogan, Yaya Toure, Lukas Nmecha and Gabriel Jesus netted for City.But, at 4-3, Vardy’s penalty hit the post and Bravo dived to his left to deny Mahrez.Elsewhere, Danny Welbeck scored the only goal of a forgettable game as Arsenal booked a place in the semifinals for the first time in six years.Arsenal and West Ham shared a goalless draw in their Premier League meeting at the London Stadium last week.It was Welbeck’s first goal since his double against Bournemouth on Sept. 9. He bundled home from close range after Mathieu Debuchy headed Francis Coquelin’s perfect pass across goal to find the England international.(Courtesy: AP)last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *